Morrison Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a canoe, or want to rent one, you can get up to Cypress Spring for free. Its a nice dive.

I just got off the phone (850-836-4223) with Dennis at the spring. The good news is that the cost is $20.00. the bad news is that they sold the property to the state. Dennis says that there is no new contact number for anyone at the state and that the current operation will cease in about two weeks. I asked if the state had any plans for the spring and he said he did not know. I hope they keep it open for diving. I would suggest calling him before any trips there.

A bad day at Vortex beats no diving at all. I guess if you're holding a class it's different than me. I go to vortex in the winter when I need a dive fix and the tides at the Destin jetties are not right (most of the winter) and no boats are going out from dive shops. Morrison is usually flooded out that time of year as well. I have been at Vortex when I was the only one there - Great viz and Great dive !!! I guess it's all relative. Good luck to you on your trip and good luck to us all on having Morrison open for diving.

Ok then ya'll, I need your help. We would rather gnaw our own arms off than dive Vortex, how's about some alternative dive sites in the area. From my research thus far looked like we are USCWAP big time. Seems the state of FL is buying up all the springs and closing them to divers. We need someplace easily accessible, but it looks like we're going to be stuck with Vortex. I hate Vortex. This is why.

I know I said stay for the day, but we'd rather avoid the place all together.

I don't know what your needs are exactly, not having taken an AOW class, but the only other place I can suggest is the Jetties. Depth goes to 55' and, if dived at high tide, current should be down and viz OK. The "june grass" may be starting by then, there's no guarantee. You will also have a good walk to the dive or need to rent a boat.

I'm sorry, but I about split my sides laughing at your misfortune at Vortex. I can feel your pain! That's why I save them for "a rainy day" dive.

Hope you find a place to go - if you find a good one let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom