Morrison Springs Dive Report 3-18-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with Rodman this morning around 8:45AM(I ran late! arg). It was a bit chilly but a very nice day. Water levels on the NOAA charts shown ~8' so we knew there would be tannic intrusion in the basin at Morrison Springs. Visibility averaged around 5' but often fell quite short - course, it hit around 10' in places. Wasn't the blue colored water most enjoy, instead we enjoyed the world beneath the surface in a brown-greenish tinge. The river water was cold, I'm guessing in the low 60sF.

The cavern was, of course, spotless with visibility limited only by the reach of our lights. There was a new 'inhabitant' there, a set of chimes, although fishy...

We did 2 dives, both hitting depths in the low 90s' and lasting a bit longer than 30 min using only our first thirds in the cavern. We attempted exploring the basin, but only got frustrated by not seeing much before feeling it.

Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album117

I hate feeling my way through a dive! Where was the air pocket? Was that the "Merman" reflecting off a bubble pocket?

Air pocket was in the smaller shallow cavern. Yep, the merman was reflecting off an air pocket on the ceiling :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
I met up with Rodman this morning around 8:45AM(I ran late! arg). It was a bit chilly but a very nice day. Water levels on the NOAA charts shown ~8' so we knew there would be tannic intrusion in the basin at Morrison Springs. Visibility averaged around 5' but often fell quite short - course, it hit around 10' in places. Wasn't the blue colored water most enjoy, instead we enjoyed the world beneath the surface in a brown-greenish tinge. The river water was cold, I'm guessing in the low 60sF.

The cavern was, of course, spotless with visibility limited only by the reach of our lights. There was a new 'inhabitant' there, a set of chimes, although fishy...

We did 2 dives, both hitting depths in the low 90s' and lasting a bit longer than 30 min using only our first thirds in the cavern. We attempted exploring the basin, but only got frustrated by not seeing much before feeling it.

Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album117

Wow.,.... looking at the pics, vis sure was less than I expected.

Rocketman and I thought about going over there this morning after diving yesterday at Vortex, but tired-ness and 54f air temp wimped us out since we knew the vis was bad.

I was great to be able to get together with you for lunch though on Saturday. Hopefully we can make it back down there again soon.

-Mike

mike_s:
...Rocketman and I thought about going over there this morning after diving yesterday at Vortex...
Sorry I missed you guys in the afternoon but we were late getting back from the jetties. Hope to catch you on your next trip.

Looks like SB had the panhandle covered this weekend :D.

mike_s:
I was great to be able to get together with you for lunch though on Saturday. Hopefully we can make it back down there again soon.

-Mike

...and dive next time too! I enjoyed meeting you and Rocketman finally as well. :14:

SeaYoda:

I think you're right, despite conditions, I don't think we left any shores undived :)

I have to ask, how far in are you guys diving? I am not cave certified, so I wont be going in beyond my experience, but I have had some overhead situations, so that doesn't make me uncomfortable. I am just curious where it is these pictures are being taken, and if it is somewhere I will be able to go to.

Hey Mat, I got some new stuff to break in for my wife. I got her a Ladyhawk. She has never done the back-inflate thing so she wants to hit the springs before hitting the rigs. I would like to go in a couple of weeks and try out Morrison. How can you get info on the clarity of the basin. I would hate to put her in low viz with new gear. I could always go to Votex but I really have always liked Morrison. You going to be in New Orleans this week. We have been completely swamped with congressional types and can never break away during lunch. That should be over this week. When you do the Vortex "meet" does anyone tent camp or is everybody in buildings.

SeaYoda:
Sorry I missed you guys in the afternoon but we were late getting back from the jetties. Hope to catch you on your next trip.

I was worried you might have shown up and not found us in the crowd (yep it was crowded there..). I asked Connie and she said she hadn't seen you.

Hopefully we'll be down next month for a jetty dive and can hook up then.

photohikedive:
I have to ask, how far in are you guys diving? I am not cave certified, so I wont be going in beyond my experience, but I have had some overhead situations, so that doesn't make me uncomfortable. I am just curious where it is these pictures are being taken, and if it is somewhere I will be able to go to.

More than likely, Morrison will be within your comfort level. The cavern is big, wide open, with no going tunnel(the 'cave' has been blown by dynamite way back in the day to prevent diver deaths). The bottom of the cavern doesn't get kicked up as its heavy sand and rock. The basin can get real nasty, especially in the winter after a bit of rain. IMO, its as safe as Ginnie Spring's "Ballroom" which is advertised as OW safe. It IS an overhead and environment, so its not something that I would take lightly nor would I expect it an acceptabal spot for just any OW diver.

Same with Cypress and maybe a few other caverns in FL if you have enough control to know when you need to stop.

Obviously a cavern course would be ideal. I myself would like to take one, as well as Intro Cave.

mrfish87:
Hey Mat, I got some new stuff to break in for my wife. I got her a Ladyhawk. She has never done the back-inflate thing so she wants to hit the springs before hitting the rigs. I would like to go in a couple of weeks and try out Morrison. How can you get info on the clarity of the basin. I would hate to put her in low viz with new gear. I could always go to Votex but I really have always liked Morrison. You going to be in New Orleans this week. We have been completely swamped with congressional types and can never break away during lunch. That should be over this week. When you do the Vortex "meet" does anyone tent camp or is everybody in buildings.

I'm in NO every week :) Tues, Wed, Thurs this week. Gimme a call if you wanna meet up - a bit of warning is nice! 251-978-4089

http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=tae&gage=carf1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

Link above shows water levels at the nearest recording station to Morrison. Depending on how clear you want to dive it will determine what level you'll want to look for... Most classes seem less inclined to leave for Vortex when the water levels are 6' and less, but it really doesn't get the clear blue water w/50'+ until the levels get ~4.5 and lower.

I camp during the meets, I think usually its about 50/50 on campers vs bunkers & Vortex penthouse'ers.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom