Morehead City next weekend...water temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the title says, how warm is the water on the weekend of November 3rd?
Should I wear a 3, 5, or just go with the drysuit? I'd rather stay with a wetsuit because I may have to fly out to San Diego on the following Monday evening. I'd rather pack a dry drysuit for the flight :wink:

Steve

Water temps are still in the mid 70's but should be cooling to the lower 70's by then. I was fine in a 3 mil last weekend. The air is cooler, so I am going to my 7/5 winter suit moving forward just to be warmer when I get out of the water.

I was hoping to get out this weekend, but...

Atlantic Beach, NC:
Sat

NE winds 20 to 25 kt...increasing to 25 to 35 kt. Seas 9 to 14 ft. Showers likely.
Sun

N winds 25 to 30 kt. Seas 9 to 14 ft...subsiding to 7 to 10 ft. A chance of showers.

Guaranteed better weather for your weekend.

I was hoping to get out this weekend, but...

Atlantic Beach, NC:
Sat

NE winds 20 to 25 kt...increasing to 25 to 35 kt. Seas 9 to 14 ft. Showers likely.
Sun

N winds 25 to 30 kt. Seas 9 to 14 ft...subsiding to 7 to 10 ft. A chance of showers.

Guaranteed better weather for your weekend.

Yea, I see that hurricane (or whatever is left of it) is sweeping up that way. :shocked2:

Does anyone think the visibility and seas would still be mucked up from the hurricane this Saturday?

Weather looks like it will be good:

Marine Forecast | Weather Underground

Fri
W winds 10 to 15 kt...increasing to 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 ft.
Fri Night
NW winds 15 to 20 kt...diminishing to 10 to 15 kt after midnight. Seas 2 to 4 ft.
Sat
NW winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 2 ft.
Sun
SW winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft. A chance of showers through the night.

Vis could be an issue. While I'm out there quite a bit, don't have the specific experience knowing how the water clears after a storm like this.

FWIW, I dove the Indra in relatively poor visibility (15 ft?), and it was still a fun dive. It gave the wreck a "ghost ship" sort of feel. Of course, it was a challenge to find the anchor line again in that. We ended up surfacing on the wrong line, hah! We had a friendly chat with another boat crew before swimming back to our own. Just pay special attention to navigation if it is cloudy, because you don't want to surface without a line and get pulled away from your boat, and bring along an SMB just in case you do get separated from the boat.

Ask the captains and DMs if you should watch out for any current too, and stay close to the wreck. They're good operators out there, so I'd trust them to know if conditions are probably too bad to dive. (I'd personally be more concerned about any crazy currents.)

The trip was cancelled thanks to Sandy:angrymob:.

Oh well, I'll try again some other time. Instead of waiting for another full chartered trip (with Atlantis), maybe I'll go with one of the open charters. It looks like there are quite a few charters down that way. Does any go out over the winter? I can always go with the drysuit.

Thanks for all the advise everyone,
:cheers:
Steve

Steve - Believe only Olympus (maybe Discovery??) run out of Morehead over the winter, if they get enough interest. I went out with them at the end of last January, had great conditions and not too cold (60's). Easy enough in a thick wet suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom