more wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starrlamia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey ladies
Soooo glad there is a woman's section!!

im looking at buying my first wetsuit, because the thought of wearing one a bunch of other people have worn gives me the heebies. However, all the suit size charts seem to be for tall, thin women which I am not!

I plan on trying some on but Im also shopping online a little bit, what size on the charts is most important to go for? I look at my weight (140), and bust/wait/hip measurements and the height is 5 10! im 5 4 so that wont work lol... Is it more important to fit to bust/waist or height and weight? Any insite is super awesome :)

Thanks!!

I'm "hard to fit" and I have found Waterproof brand wetsuits to work very well (and, as a bonus, they are high-quality suits). They have a great range of sizes, including short, tall, plus, and in-betweens.

Here is a chart showing the various women's sizes in easy-to-compare format. (On the Waterproof site you have to look at the various types separately.)

waterproof womens size chart.jpg

I'm also a hard fit, as I am 5'6" & 190#. For my drysuits, I have them custom made. For wetsuits, I usually have to wear Men's sizes which length- wise they're huge! Since I use the suits primarily in the pool, I can not justify a custom suit, I usually just roll the sleeves back.

starrlamia

Bare also has a wide range of proportions in their size range, Pinnacle too, I think.

Which dimensions are important? They all are but above all else it must be comfortable in the chest neither hindering or assisting in your respiration. After that the rest needs to fit like a second skin with just a hint of compression.

Having a not "off the rack" diver in the family has given me some experience around custom cuts and they are the way to go if off the rack does not get you there. The cost is on part with a premium stock suit so there is no reason to settle for less than a great fit.

More here.

Pete

thanks guys :) Good to know i can roll up sleeves if needed lol.
A custom wetsuit would be great, but it really isnt feasible right now, my first wetsuit will be a fairly cheap one, Im a student right now and buying top of the line gear is out of the question, I dont mind renting everything else but I want my own wetsuit.

I will definately look into the different manufacturers thanks!

Just remember - try them on before buying!! I'm pretty much "off the rack" when it comes to sizing, but even so, I've found some are just more comfortable than others. And the thicker the suit, I find, the more important a comfortable fit. Oh - and don't forget to try on your hood with the suit if you'll be wearing one. I have a serious issue with my neck being constricted. Drives me nuts!

thanks guys :)
A custom wetsuit would be great, but it really isnt feasible right now, my first wetsuit will be a fairly cheap one...

Okay, with this additional information I would not have recommended a new Waterproof suit, because they are not cheap.

On the other hand, I did buy one of mine used from Craigslist (only worn a couple of times due to not fitting and looked/seemed new when I received it). So that may be a possibility.

Another thing that may work in your favor is that some of the cheaper suits are made of less dense/more stretchy neoprene, so that should make it easier to fit into one that is not the perfect size. That type would not be as warm, per mm, but whether or not that is needed depends on you and your diving locale.

My girlfriend is 5'1 and she's in her 40's like me, had two kids.

Finding a nice fitting wetsuit was a challenge. Beuchat (from Europe) had a nice one, also warm for a 3/5 mil, that she liked.

Her vest was the true find - Aqualung for females. Wonderful design.

thanks again! It will be for trips, going to coz in feb, im less worried about warmth, I will check out used stuf!

We were in coz in Feb 2011, first week. Surface temp of water was 78f, past 60' it was 74-75, as we were drifting along the wall at about 80 feet, it was about 72f. (dive computer)
It's winter there too.

The first dive was the deep, Sylvie was shivering on the boat on our way, back closer to the docks (and ferry), for the shallow dive. If she had had the thinnest wetsuit, she probably would not have dove the 2nd time at all. My advice is a full-size, one piece, at least 3 mil.

Our whole week at Riviera Maya & Cozumel, it never got warmer than 82f, most days it was cloudy. No tan. Remember, it's not the Caribbeans, you're on the mainland.
Friends of ours were in Jamaica at the same time, they had 90f +, sunny, and ocean temp was above 80f down to 50 feet.

One trick we "cold water" divers use - a soup thermos, fill it with hot water and bring on the boat. In between dives, pour some (slowly!) down your back & front inside your wetsuit. Water in thermos should be warm, not hot, after the trip out and the 1+ hour of the first dive. You can drink some. A blanket is no use if you keep your wetsuit on.

Don't let cold ruin what might be the dive of your lifetime! Plus, you can use a 3/5 mil (3 mil arms & legs, body is 5 mil) just about everywhere in Ontario during the summer for dives. Except quarries - those have 3 thermoclines. River and lake diving is fun and cheap.

Make sure to do Cenotes! Near Tulum, like the Dos Ojos, a beginner cave. That's another place you'll be happy to have a 3/5 mil combo. Freshwater, underground, most Cenotes have a water temp barely above 70f.

Back
Top Bottom