More shots from Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boogs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi!

Got a chance to dive again last weekend. This is my second time to use a strobe so I'm still quite new to this. Thanks again for all the tips and advice in my last post! :) These were all taken with a Canon G10 in OEM housing and a single YS27dx.

Last shots here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/326592-first-shots-strobe-anilao.html

4471623505_6f4ced8eb7.jpg

4472393574_97c3e137fa.jpg

4471611301_54fa18c154.jpg

4472384974_b87d6769c7.jpg

4472383572_2a1060296d.jpg

4472381800_d8940c7886.jpg

4471586355_d56bb9e8e7.jpg

4471584987_194090108e.jpg

The squid was taken at night, and it was my first night dive with a strobe. Any advice on how to eliminate the backscatter?

I personally think you did a great job on all the shots. For the backscatter on this shot.....it looks, by the shadow (if that is what I actually see), as if you had the strobe pointing almost head on the subject. Try aiming the strobe from one side so the light reflects off in another direction as opposed to straight back at the camera.

4472393574_97c3e137fa.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Scubasteve. I had a dive light pointed directly at it while focusing. How does that affect the shot? What I really wouldve wanted was a black background, but I think I forgot to switch to a smaller F-stop. Would I be able to do that if I was using F8?

What I really wouldve wanted was a black background, but I think I forgot to switch to a smaller F-stop. Would I be able to do that if I was using F8?

Did you see that? My head just exploded from the lack of understanding :rofl3:. Yes, in theory you could have achieved the black background by using a higher F-stop. Some people are experts with this where I am beyond an amateur :D.

I had a dive light pointed directly at it while focusing. How does that affect the shot?

By having the strobe pointed straight at the subject, the light is reflecting off the particulate in the water. That is what is giving you the backscatter. By aiming the strobe a bit from the side, the light reflects away from the lens thus eliminating a lot of the backscatter. Make sense?

Makes sense man, thanks! I was a bit overwhelmed during the night dive, torch in one hand, cam in the other, checking my depth from time to time. hahaha.. I'll try and move my strobe a bit outward next time. :) Sucks, that squid wouldve looked nice. :(

Makes sense man, thanks! I was a bit overwhelmed during the night dive, torch in one hand, cam in the other, checking my depth from time to time. hahaha.. I'll try and move my strobe a bit outward next time. :) Sucks, that squid wouldve looked nice. :(

Don't be so hard on yourself. It is still a great shot.

plan to get a strobe...hopefully i can have a great shots like u!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom