More Philippines Coverage in latest Dive Magazine (UK)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, found the latest Jan 2008 issue of Dive Magazine (UK) in my mailbox today. As part of an ongoing series called "Around the World in Eighty Wrecks", this month's focus is on wrecks in The Philippines and PNG. For the PI, they cover the Kyokuzan Maru in Coron, Dona Marilyn Ferry off Cebu, and an unknown trawler off Mindanao. Comments and photos provided by Scott Tuason.

And then in a bit of a surprise, the main article called "Dives that blow your socks off!" covers the usual suspects: Galapagos, Palau, Red Sea, Raja Ampat, and...

[insert tire screeching noises]

Wait a minute, did I read that right?

PESCADOR ISLAND, CEBU??? huh? That place near Moalboal mentioned in the same breath as Palau and Raja Ampat? The text goes on to say "many divers hold it to be one of the finest spots in the archipelago"... oh really? :wink:

Anyways, good to see The Philippines once again pop up in major Western market dive magazines.

Now the sad part is if you go back to the classifieds section, there is

[drum roll]

one
Philippine based dive op advertising (Thresher Shark Divers of Malapascua). Indonesia and Thailand each have 5 dive shops/ liveaboards advertisements...

hmmmmn.... when i was starting my research before i jumped into Scuba Diving, ive been hearing about how awesome Pescador Island was (not so much at the present)- lots of big stuff and all...

lately, ive been hearing stories from foreign tourist divers doing dives there that it was one of the best dives they had. let it be known that i, of course, cannot verify where else they have dove. :rofl2: (i can also recall from memory that there are about three or so threads here in SB praising Pescador-yeah, three- duh!!)

but anyway, perhaps something fishy is boiling in pescador now and we are all missing it! :D

Sad, such a good advertising opportunity and only one local dive shop was in the spotlight.

Anyways, glad to find out about this article. Thanks Pak!

Phil (bisugo767)

Now the sad part is if you go back to the classifieds section, there is

[drum roll]

one
Philippine based dive op advertising (Thresher Shark Divers of Malapascua). Indonesia and Thailand each have 5 dive shops/ liveaboards advertisements...

One correction, there was one big full page add by Kasai Village Beach Resort (Moalboal) but it's put up by the Tony Backhurst Travel Co (a major UK dive travel agent). The resort looks upper end and owned/run by Swedes(?).

I was being a little sarcastic about Pescador, but like Mags, there seems to have been a growing number of positive reviews/ reco's on Pescador Island. Seems while the reefs along Moalboal are beaten up, Pescador's reefs are in good shape. For the heck of it last nite, I was reading the blog for Savedra (one of the major Moalboal shops) and interested to see a few entries about Thresher Shark sightings, whalesharks, etc...

One correction, there was one big full page add by Kasai Village Beach Resort (Moalboal) but it's put up by the Tony Backhurst Travel Co (a major UK dive travel agent). The resort looks upper end and owned/run by Swedes(?).

I was being a little sarcastic about Pescador, but like Mags, there seems to have been a growing number of positive reviews/ reco's on Pescador Island. Seems while the reefs along Moalboal are beaten up, Pescador's reefs are in good shape. For the heck of it last nite, I was reading the blog for Savedra (one of the major Moalboal shops) and interested to see a few entries about Thresher Shark sightings, whalesharks, etc...
when i was with mitch (amurao) last new year's he was saying pescador is fantastic diving... probably the best in the country i believe...

or i could have been beer-deaf by that time...

but he had all good things to say about moalboal and pescador...

Jag

pescador and moalboal in general offer good dives. good walls, turtles etc. but nothing great compared to sogod, bohol, etc. maybe its because even the most basic dives here will get raves from those who have been diving "less-exciting" sites overseas? a friend from Oz was raving after his first dive in PG. it was at sabang wreck when viz was very poor. and he had been to maldives, fiji, phuket, etc.

pescador and moalboal in general offer good dives. good walls, turtles etc. but nothing great compared to sogod, bohol, etc. maybe its because even the most basic dives here will get raves from those who have been diving "less-exciting" sites overseas? a friend from Oz was raving after his first dive in PG. it was at sabang wreck when viz was very poor. and he had been to maldives, fiji, phuket, etc.
true about that...

even hank has said a long time ago that we're pretty spoiled rotten as far as diving is concerned...

sites that we would pass off as 2nd rate or bleh or boring would already overwhelm most divers from other countries...

Jag

has anyone tried pescador? maybe the cebu based dudes can give us more info

I'm going to Moalboal before Sogod Bay, I'll let you know what the hoopla is all about:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom