More or less weights with drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Hi,
Waiting for my drysuit to come in (Tri-Lam) and am curious if there is any 'standard' rule or starting point for how much weights I am going to require vs. my wetsuit? I know a rule of thumb for wetsuits is about 10# of one's body weight but I have no idea about drysuits? I'll be taking the SSI Drysuit course in March, but...

HELP!

It depends on a lot of factors (Type of suit, under suit, other equipment) You really need to do a proper buoyancy check. As a starting point I found I needed a little less weight with my trilam drysuit than with a thick wetsuit.

Hi Scoobie,

After a year of diving dry I found I've halved my weights while not having changed any other kit.

As Nick says depends on so many things and also I think I had a tendancy to over inflate in the early days. So bouyancy check at the end of a dive on 50 bar as usual really.

Have fun with it , try and do the feet first Polaris missile bit in the pool :D it's a lot less embarrasing that way !!!!

Hoppy

nickjb once bubbled...
As a starting point I found I needed a little less weight with my trilam drysuit than with a thick wetsuit.
...I'm amazed! Is there that much difference between trilam and rubber? I dive a Gates HD rubber suit and it doubled my weight (18 to 36lbs). However, I wear a wicking layer, thinsolate and wool layers, and like lots of insulating air in my suit...last Saturday's lake dive registered at 29 o F. If you're diving cold water for 50-60 minutes or more, my bet is you'll be adding weight. Weighting has so many variables. Let us know what you learn at the Drysuit course...

I suppose a lot depends on how much air you like in the suit (I have plenty for me, enough to remove squeeze and stay warm). I usually have 8 to 10kg (18 - 22lbs) when I dive dry, with a single steel tank and alu backplate.

Years ago when I got my TLS350 and switched from a 7mm wet I used the same weight with no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom