More on ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
During my OW certification dives last Sat. and Sun. I did not have any difficulty equalizing my ears, they never felt painful, I began clearing them as soon as I got my head under and I took Sudafed the first day, then I decided that I would take Claritin D the second day instead. But when I woke up Monday my left ear felt full, or clogged and the right ear was hurting. I got some relief from Sudafed and tylenol, just not enough. So, today because I have had past problems with allergies, sinus headache, and several times have had severe blockage from ear wax I went to the doctor. Much as I suspected they were both impacted with ear wax, and the right ear is infected, both inner ear and outer. He has started me on oral antibiotics, ear drop antibiotics, and Flonase. When the infection has cleared he wants me to take Zrytec. I hope others don't ever ignore these symptoms, and see a physician right away. Another sign that gave me a clue that there was a blockage is my remembering that when we first went in and were snorkeling I felt/heard a glugging sound in my ear like water trying to go in. I am sure that would indicate that water was seeping around the wax blockage.

Hi 'seaangel'!

Thanks for your excellent case report and cautionary! Diving is not the best way to find out that you have an ear canal blocked with cerumen. Your situation is a good way to show that barotrauma can occur on both sides of the ear drum when you try to descend with a blocked ear canal. (The same thing can happen if you're using unvented ear plugs).

One would suppose that these simple ear problems would not be a big roadblock in the way of learning to scuba dive - but more divers have equalizing problems than any other difficulty and have to abandon the sport for that reason.

Claritin D is a combination of loratidine (antihistamine) and pseudoephedrine (Sudafed). It has the same action as Zyrtec and Sudafed given together, but is in an extended dosage form to last 12 or 24 hours. The other medications that you have been prescribed are quite appropriate for a combination of external otitis (ear canal) and middle ear barotrauma.

None of this will be effective in preventing another situation where you get middle ear barotrauma unless you develop an effective technique to equalize your ears during a dive. Here is a download of an article written by Allen Deckelboum, MD, an excellent diving ENT doctor, that details various methods that you can use to clear your ears:
http://www.scuba-doc.com/download/Equalizing_Techniques.zip

Good luck in your diving future! Keep us informed as to how you get along with your clearing and diving.

Thanks for the information. I definetly will try to use some when I am able to dive again. I never felt any pressure or pain during my dives. It all hit me the next morning. My ear is improving after one day of medication, still seems a bit stopped up, like maybe there is some inner swelling. The severe pain has subsided. I hope to be back in the water in a couple of weeks.:)

I have an update on my barotrauma to my ears, and there is good news and I hope not so bad news. I went to the ENT Dr. that was recommended to me by the assistant instructor at my dive shop. This Doc is also my husband's Doc, so he was glad he could see me. Anyway my right ear is 100% ok. As for the left ear I couldn't seem to clear it, and after his exam he determined I have a spur on my septum, and the nasal passage is swollen. So he has recommended use of neosynephrine spray, with the Flonase, then to clear my ears with the valsalva method immediately. I am to do this 4 times a day now and every time before I dive. So far I have used this 3 times today and I am happy to report that my left ear is finally open. :) It was not so stopped that I could not hear just enough like when you have a cold. I am also going to keep up the Zyrtec as needed. This is such good news as I am anxious to dive again here at home before I go on vacation the end of this month. Just thought I would share this and happy diving to all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom