More nudi ID help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I love finding and photographing nudibranchs and flatworms but am not good at identifying species. I decided that it is high time I did and so I have posted a few pics here of the nudis that I caught on camera in the Indo-Pacific in the last few years. I request help, including corrections of my provisional IDs.

1. I found the first one in Philippines in 2011. No idea what this is. Would appreciate an ID
2. This one was in Phuket in 2011. I think it may be one of Risbecia species but am not sure.
3. The purple beauty was from Sipadan and I am almost sure that it is a Hypselodoris Bullocki
4. The fourth was from Bali in June this year and I think it is a Nembrotha kubaryana.
5. The last one is from my latest Raja Ampat trip. I think this is the rare Nembrotha livingstonei.

Attachments

• Philippines 530s.jpg
    Philippines 530s.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 608s.jpg
    608s.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2156a.jpg
    IMG_2156a.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1318s.jpg
    IMG_1318s.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3086s.jpg
    IMG_3086s.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 60
Larger photos would really help. From what I can see:

1. Hypselodoris bullockii
2. Risbecia pulchella
3. Pretty sure it's Hypselodoris apolegma, these are very common in the Sipadan area.
4. Nembrotha kubaryana
5. Is a flatworm, Pseudoceros lindae I think.

Thanks Oszillodrom. Spot on. I guess I should have thought of a flatworm looking at the gill-less body on the last critter.

Oszildrom (and anyone else), the picture below was taken in the same reef of Raja Ampat as the flatworm in P5 and might explain my confusion.

I fet that there are 2 nudibranchs in this frame. The one at the back, black with red dots appears to be a Nembrotha yonowae (aka N guttata) but the one in the foreground is more interesting. It has the same colour scheme as the Pseudoceros lindae flatworm but is definitely a nudibranch looking at the gills. Is that a Nembrotha livingstonei ?

Attachments

• IMG_3068s.jpg
    IMG_3068s.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
hi, do you have a larger version of that photo? i can't even see two nudibranchs in there.

I do, but I do not know how to post it here. Can ask you a favour? In my Raja Ampat Report Part 2 in the Regional forums (Indonesia) there is a flickr link to all the photos that I took. That picture is about quarter of the way down, No: 3068 I believe. That can be expanded to full screen if you wish. Try the link below, it may work.

https://flic.kr/p/piqRMf

found it. i'm pretty sure that is just one nudi, possibly nembrotha yonowae or one of the undescribed nembrotha species. i recommend posting it to the fb group 'id please (marine creature identification)', it's full of experts. post it here when you have found out, i'm interested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom