More newbie questions - Hero 3+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petefry

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking about getting the Gopro Hero 3+ for a trip in November.

Based on the research I've done so far (and thank you to everyone who has answered other newbie threads) this is what I think I might need... but please comment before I go to the store:

1. The camera
2. A monopod/arm - extendable to, say, 4'
3. A tray with 2 arms for lights
4. 2 lights (is the Big Blue LED system for under $400 any good?) Is this overkill for a beginner? Should I get a light at all?
5. Red filters - I like the look of the flip 3.1 filter system but I think this is only compatible with the Hero 3 case (which is rated to a greater depth too) so I'm thinking I might need buy the case so that I can use this accessory.
6. spare batteries for a total of 3
7. back pack viewfinder
8. at least 2 64MB class 10 SD cards

Also, what other accessories would you recommend for a week of blue water diving?

The people I'm diving with have a PC on board but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on whether to take a laptop for editing/downloading after dives. I'm guessing I just want to get the raw footage onto a big hard drive to get it home.

Tray with lights good idea. Not sure of the Big Blue LED system, looks promising. You could go with this which is what I use and SRP is top rate stuff: SRP Tray and Light Bundle

You WILL need the Hero 3 case for any filter attachments or the LCD backpac. You could go Flip 3.1 or SRP red filter.

Spare batteries very important. I have 3. I would say go for the Wasabi batteries best deal around: Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for GoPro HD HERO3, HERO3+ and GoPro AHDBT-201, AHDBT-301, AHDBT-302: Camera & Photo

The LCD Backpac has limited benefit because it eats up the battery fast and unnecessary for wide angle GoPro video IMO.

I recommend the Samsung 64MB SD card. It's one of the few that will truly keep up with the Hero's Protune high bitrate. One 64MB card will hold almost 3hrs of 1080/60 Protune video. Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 64GB Pro microSDXC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MGCGB/AM): Computers & Accessories

If you have a laptop or PC and/or external hard drive for storing the cards video on a daily basis, 1 card will suffice. That's how I do it. Having a 2nd card is not a bad idea as a back up. Unless your laptop has some real umph, it may not do a good job of editing HD video.

I second El Pistoffo's recommendations as far as not using an LCD Backpac. Especially if you shoot Protune Raw that battery is already draining fast and the LCD will rob you of some serious film time. Framing with the wide angle lens is super easy. Also you can try the Battery Backpac which I found to be very useful. Pretty much doubled my battery time.

Also the Samsung 64 SD card is the way to go. As you know not all SD cards were created equal

The monopod is fun for interesting shots but is kinda tiring to use as it is not easy to steady. I liked using this if you are not using a tray for lights:
Amazon.com: Opteka HG-1 Heavy-Duty Aluminum Ultra HandGrip Handheld Stabilization System for DSLR and Video Cameras: Camera & Photo

I just bought a 3+ and LCD screen. Took it out for a dive yesterday and shot 30 minutes of video with the LCD on. Battery gauge only dropped one bar. If you are going to do the LCD, as mentioned you will need the Hero 3 case. If you contact GoPro with proof of purchase for both the camera and the LCD backpack, they will ship you a housing for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom