More good Bali diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We just spent a week diving in Bali with Geko in Padang Bai and living at Sea Breeze. Both recommended.

Sea Breeze is about 20 mins N. of PDB closer to Candidasa. Wonderful resort, quiet, sea views everywhere, sea breezes everywhere, great staff, good resto and free shuttle to the wonderful Vincent's in Candidasa. After three years of diving PDB with Geko and looking for the right place to stay -- this it IT! We will come back here! The 20 min drive is SO worth it.

Diving was excellent as usual, though the score was dives: 20, mola-mola: 0. Oh, well. Others saw them, not us for whatever reasons. Skunked for the third year in a row! Temps varied from about 25C on Nusa Penida to as low as 21C in Crystal Bay. Geko dies a fine job, good prices (don't tell Cedric I said that) and we always love diving with the wonderful Made. He is attentive to us in the water, organized with equipment, fun to be with, and an excellent spotter. Geko provides 28% nitrox which is great if you need to get down below 30m to see mola-mola (which we did not, unfortunately, but this is good thinking on their part). They also provided me with additional 6L pony tanks for two or three-tank dive days. We also dove Tepekong and Biaha. Nusa drift dives are my fav on Bali.

The only thing I did not like to see was the increased development on Nusa Penida. It has now become a typical tourist destination, nice for the locals I guess but I'm sure it will go the way of all mass tourism, slowly destroying what makes it so special. There are already large sections of Nusa Penida that we can no longer dive because of all the speedboats running tourists around on pontoons for "thrills". And for what? Take that crap to Kuta where it belongs.

Separate report on Luko. Tragic.

- Bill

There are already large sections of Nusa Penida that we can no longer dive because of all the speedboats running tourists around on pontoons for "thrills".

Hey Bill. I'm interested to know what large sections of Nusa Penida or particular dive sites, can no longer be dived because of speedboats running tourists around

Thanks for the hotel info, Bill. It looks very nice, but not within my budget sadly (even with a good rate of pound to the Rupiah at present). I tried the basic option this time on the seafront at PB close to Geko, not good for me at all but glad I tried it and learned my lesson. I'm now settled in at OK Divers which is a good compromise for my taste, but their G&T is way too expensive so I will take a brew or two elsewhere. Diving with Geko as before and loving it. Manta Point got blown out due to a big surge yesterday but trying for Crystal Bay tomorrow (it may be cold so glad I've brought an under layer with a hood this time - Blue Lagoon wall was very cold a few days ago and Made was feeling it a lot!). I saw an Ocean sunfish, my first one out at G Biaha - fab. I must buy a GoPro, my NYC buddy today took some great shots at the dive up at Tulamben. All the best. Agree with you about NP and some planning control would be great, but everyone seems just to be chasing the money (still with Brexit coming I'll soon have none myself in a third world UK).

Thanks for the hotel info, Bill. It looks very nice, but not within my budget sadly (even with a good rate of pound to the Rupiah at present). I tried the basic option this time on the seafront at PB close to Geko, not good for me at all but glad I tried it and learned my lesson. I'm now settled in at OK Divers which is a good compromise for my taste, but their G&T is way too expensive so I will take a brew or two elsewhere. Diving with Geko as before and loving it. Manta Point got blown out due to a big surge yesterday but trying for Crystal Bay tomorrow (it may be cold so glad I've brought an under layer with a hood this time - Blue Lagoon wall was very cold a few days ago and Made was feeling it a lot!). I saw an Ocean sunfish, my first one out at G Biaha - fab. I must buy a GoPro, my NYC buddy today took some great shots at the dive up at Tulamben. All the best. Agree with you about NP and some planning control would be great, but everyone seems just to be chasing the money (still with Brexit coming I'll soon have none myself in a third world UK).

Rob, we stayed at OK several times but in the end it wasn't quiet enough for me. Sea Breeze was, though the trip each day on Bali roads was a bit harrowing!

- Bill

Back
Top Bottom