More from the Kona Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a link to my trip report, was not sure where to put it: www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=964634#post964634

Here are a variety of shots from the trip and part of the trip report.

Photography
Several of the crew members, Captain Rob and Pam, are award winning photographers and wonderful and giving you tips and advice. Both produce great videos and slide shows of the week. The camera table is fair sized but with 5 photographers in the group it was getting a little cramped. Due to heavy rain and rough seas leading up to our arrival there was a fair amount of particles in the water. Surge is always an issue in Hawaii and this week there was fairly heavy surge at most of the sites. The combination of backscatter, surge and fast moving subjects made it a challenge.

A fellow photographer, Mark, gave me the piece of advice for the week. He had won the trip via a photo contest and is a doing a book on the Maldives, incredible shots. He runs a D100 is a Nexus housing with four Inon Z220 strobes, yes count them 4. Formally trained as an abstract painter Mark said “it is not about blasting the subject with light, what is important is filling the area around the subject with light”. He use’s 4 strobes for WA and 3 for macro. The clarity and depth of color of his shots really has me thinking about adding a 3rd strobe.

Had a chance to use the new Fisheye focus light, WOW. It produces a very even circle of light. At max power it lit up much more of the reef than the large Light Cannons, though it does not have the range/distance. With the ability to adjust the output it made an excellent focus and dive light. Only problem is with the charger which will have to go back to the mfg.

Did you remove the particles? or were you just bragging :D - looks clear to me. Nice pics.

Incredible Photos! The first set of the schooling raccoon butterfly looked like a very colorful Andy Warhol painting, its like 3D! Which wideangle Nikon lens did you use?

Great Photos. Awesome Arch Eye Hawk fish and really nice looking Wrasse.

Thanks all. Most of the macro pictures are pretty much as is. The WA pictures had just major particals cloned out and I used the "digital noise remover" in Paint Shop Pro. Dolphins & Mantas where shot with Nikon 18-35mm and distorted pics taken with a new 10.5mm Nikon lens. This lens requires you to be less than a 1ft from the subject. It is good for over/under, whale shark, wreck and big reefscapes. Anything less and it just looks tiny. I have some shots of a 6' white tip shark shot from about 4' and it looks like a dogfish.

Fantastic photos! The fish are all great but I really like the one of the cavern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom