more computer questions - DG03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently saw I think it was the Atom 3.1 on sale somewhere w/AI and cable for $679.
The Atom comes with a data cable in the box. The same data cable will work for Geo DC as well.

EDIT: Can also sometimes be found at a LDS for cheaper since it seems to be no longer on the OceanicWorldwide website.

$616 for the DG-03 with the bungee, USB cable and 1 transmitter.

Last edited:
@frndrfoe,
If you want something better than a DG03 there is always the NitekQ from DGX at US$400.
Though I hesitate to recommend it not knowing your experience or training.

It sort of drops in between the DG03 and the Sheerwater Petrel/Perdix computers in my opinion. It is very readable underwater - especially in poor vis, but I do struggle a bit in direct sunlight on the surface with it. The interface is quite intuitive - I only needed the manual to ensure I wasn't making any incorrect assumptions as I was exploring the interface. (I wasn't.)

If you go with a NitekQ and want to download your profiles you'll need aftermarket logging software - I like 'Subsurface' for logging.

The main reason I hesitate to recommend it is mostly due to the Buhlmann + Gradient Factors algorithm. This is a two edged sword, while it is a very well regarded algorithm and very customisable. It also has the potential to allow a novice to input settings unsuitable for their body and dive plan. IE: it gives you enough rope that you could hang yourself.
If you read and properly understand the explanation of Gradient factors here Gradient Factors | Dive Rite - then you should be OK. If that page leaves you feeling lost then probably a different computer would be a better fit you you.
Note that the highly rated Sheerwater Petrel/Perdix computers use the same algorithm and Gradient factor adjustment so this argument applies to them also.

Additional drawbacks also include no audible alarms or air integration so if you want or need those features you'll need to look elsewhere.

In short I think it is a viable choice for an experienced, educated diver but one probably not well suited to a novice.

The Atom comes with a data cable in the box. ...
$616 for the DG-03 with the bungee, USB cable and 1 transmitter.

Right. Atom's the only one alternative I can think of in the same price/features range and it's not noticeably cheaper. I don't think it's fair to say you can buy a better computer for less -- more like you can buy one that also has DSAT for about the same money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom