more computer questions - DG03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frndrfoe

Contributor
Reaction score
Based on a couple other threads I am considering the Hollis DG03 but I have a couple questions. I still feel pretty new to figuring out the options I need/want

Conservative setting: I look at other computers and you can set your desired ppo2 to 1.2 or 1.4 or whatever but the DG03 has an on/off setting that causes the algorithm to act like it is 3000 ft higher in altitude. How does this translate to adjusting ppo2? Am I missing the ability to set desired ppo2 somewhere else?

Availability: Since it is only available from DGX and not even listed as a product on the Hollis site, do warranty problems have to be addressed though DGX or does Hollis support it directly?

My LDS is a scubapro shop so he has his recommendations but...
He showed me a Aladin 2G and a SeaBear (dont remember model) that would be in almost similar price range as the DG03 but it looks like they are both discontinued from what I can see (he admitted this). The Seabear, he said, could do a 2 gas dive that he thought I might want to take advantage of in future diving off North Carolina where the boat would have a 100% o2 bottle hanging at the safety stop. It looks like the DG03 can do this as well.

I'm guessing that some of these are stupid questions but consider the source.
Hopefully I will learn enough to make an educated decision at some point.

Conservative setting: I look at other computers and you can set your desired ppo2 to 1.2 or 1.4 or whatever but the DG03 has an on/off setting that causes the algorithm to act like it is 3000 ft higher in altitude. How does this translate to adjusting ppo2? Am I missing the ability to set desired ppo2 somewhere else?

Yes to the last one: according to the manual set PO2 alarm point is part of gas setting. E.g. If you set the alarm to 1.2 and dive air (21% O2) to 40 m (5 atm) 21 * 5 = 105% or 1.05, less than 1.2. Dive 25% O2 to 40 m and you'll be at 1.25 and the alarm will trigger.

"Conservative" setting makes NDLs shorter, they're just telling you exactly how it works: by pretending you're diving at 1 km higher altitude (i.e. lower starting/ending pressure). As opposed to, say, my Leonardo that has 3 "Safety Factor" levels but no explanation as to what they actually do.

Quick note: Conservatism of the decompression algorithm and maximum pO2 values are completely independent numbers.

I have and have dove a Hollis DG03. I can't answer warranty questions, but I can tell you it's a very good first computer and can carry you through to deco dives and answer whatever other questions you've got. It has 3 gasses and a deco-friendly, Buhlmann-based algorithm....plus it has gauge mode. It's not the friendliest UI on the planet, but once you get the bulk of the stuff set right (time, date, etc)....changing the Nitrox mix is relatively simple. EANx settings were the only thing I really messed with at all.

As for pO2 alarms, they go off before you get to your max set PO2. I increased mine because my alarm would go off on every dive in a couple different caves (92-100ft on EAN32) and I was sick of hearing the beep.

I use a DG03 as my backup computer on every dive. It has been very reliable for ~300 dives on the original battery. However, I find the user interface very un-intuitive despite going back to the manuals frequently. I ended up permanently putting into gauge mode (only depth and time). Then I bought a different computer for my primary that is very well known for its great user interface, readability, and customer service.

If money is an issue, then go for the DG03 but be prepared to study the manual regularly until you get it. If you can spend the money, you'll be happier with something else which is likely to be more expensive.

I use a DG03 as my backup computer on every dive. It has been very reliable for ~300 dives on the original battery. However, I find the user interface very un-intuitive despite going back to the manuals frequently
I found this to be true. To be fair, the only thing I was doing on my DG03 was changing gas mixes and that became simple after a few attempts.

I ended up permanently putting into gauge mode (only depth and time). Then I bought a different computer for my primary that is very well known for its great user interface, readability, and customer service.
So which Shearwater did you get? :wink:

If money is an issue, then go for the DG03 but be prepared to study the manual regularly until you get it. If you can spend the money, you'll be happier with something else which is likely to be more expensive.
I couldn't agree more with this. However, the DG03 is a good computer for the money. Of course, just a couple changes to the DeepBlu Cosmiq and I think it'd be the only computer other than Shearwater I could recommend.

Money is an issue, but I would be willing to spend in the $500 USD range to avoid buyers remorse. :mad:

Based on a couple other threads I am considering the Hollis DG03 but I have a couple questions. I still feel pretty new to figuring out the options I need/want

Availability: Since it is only available from DGX and not even listed as a product on the Hollis site, do warranty problems have to be addressed though DGX or does Hollis support it directly?

My LDS is a scubapro shop so he has his recommendations but...
He showed me a Aladin 2G and a SeaBear (dont remember model) that would be in almost similar price range as the DG03 but it looks like they are both discontinued from what I can see (he admitted this). The Seabear, he said, could do a 2 gas dive that he thought I might want to take advantage of in future diving off North Carolina where the boat would have a 100% o2 bottle hanging at the safety stop. It looks like the DG03 can do this as well.

I'm guessing that some of these are stupid questions but consider the source.
Hopefully I will learn enough to make an educated decision at some point.

The only SeaBear computers I know of are the H3 and the T1. I paid $875 for my H3. It is a WAY better and nicer computer than the DG03. If you can get one for anywhere near the price of a DG03, it is a no-brainer, to me. If you don't buy it, please send me a PM with the shop info so I can call and buy it!

Personally, I would not buy a DG03. According to the manual, it has one algorithm, which is proprietary and called Pelagic Z+ (aka PZ+). You can buy just about any Aeris or Oceanic recreational computer and get that same algorithm plus the DSAT algorithm, which is more liberal. Then choose which algorithm you actually want to use. The DG03 with a bungee mount and data cable is almost $400. I'd spend that money on something smaller, with more features. Considering it has only the PZ+ algorithm, which is proprietary, and does not support Gradient Factors, I don't really see how it's any better as a backup for tech diving than many other computers you can buy.

As for ppO2, you should figure out what you want your max to be, then determine your MOD for that before you start your dive. You shouldn't be relying on your computer to tell you not to go any deeper.

If the Aladin has been discontinued don't expect warranty support unless the shop will *guarantee* it. Mine died, Scubapro would not warranty it even though it was INSIDE OF THE WARRANTY PERIOD. The model was discontinued.....they changed the button from tear-drop to round, no other changes.
I'm pissed, can you tell?

Personally, I would not buy a DG03. According to the manual, it has one algorithm, which is proprietary and called Pelagic Z+ (aka PZ+). You can buy just about any Aeris or Oceanic recreational computer and get that same algorithm plus the DSAT algorithm, which is more liberal. Then choose which algorithm you actually want to use. The DG03 with a bungee mount and data cable is almost $400. I'd spend that money on something smaller, with more features.

I would, too, but please name an WAI computer that goes for under $400 with the cable and bungee mount.

I would, too, but please name an WAI computer that goes for under $400 with the cable and bungee mount.

If you want AI, the DG03+AI is going to run you at least $650, right (with mount and cable)? Maybe even closer to $800. I paid $550 for my Atom 3.0 w/USB and AI - brand new from my LDS. I recently saw I think it was the Atom 3.1 on sale somewhere w/AI and cable for $679.

If you don't want AI, then $400 will get you a smaller, nicer computer than a DG03 with many options.

If you just want an AI-capable computer, without the AI transmitter, well, I think it's very possible for $400 - 500. But, I'm not spending time now to go shop for you. And anyway, I don't think buying that way makes a lot of sense. The transmitters are almost $400 when you buy them by themselves. They are MUCH cheaper when you get it with the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom