More about magnetic slide switch on dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We got this question from our customers recently, “Why I can't turn on the DS1 dive light when sliding the switch very fast underwater?” Different from other type switches on the flashlights, there is a magnetic slide switch on the DS1. And this kind of slide switch has its unique features.

You may be familiar with the traditional body side switch, which has been applied to flashlights long ago. A side slide switch allows the use of a discrete button while saving some length on the light. This type of switch is also ideal if you prefer an overhand (thumb facing forward) grip when using your light. However, it is difficult to waterproof this type of switch. With technology developing, drawing on the design of this side-press switch, engineers have developed more advanced magnetic slide switches. The XTAR DS1 uses this kind of switch. On the basis of retaining the convenience of the traditional side push switch, it allows divers to smoothly turn on the light and adjust the brightness underwater.

The principle of this magnetic slide switch is that there is a built-in magnet at the switch, which is paired with the Hall components in the circuit compartment, and the switch slides back and forth to change the magnetic force sensed by the Hall components, thereby adjusting the current at the LED end to change the brightness.

The benefit of this switch are:
* The switch and the circuit compartment are completely isolated, with good waterproof performance, which is especially suitable for diving flashlights.
* Infinite dimming. You could change the brightness on DS1 from 30-1000 lumen freely.

XTAR DS1 with magnetic slide switch.jpg

Disadvantages:

Current's always being drawn; battery flattens as a result.

Most of those torches are cheapo entry-level things. Had a couple of them in my first couple of years of diving**. They both broke and weren't very good. One had the magnet fall off! The other just stopped working.

Far better to have a torch with a proper button or even a twist to turn on. Then they're reliable, bright and can't be accidentally turned on in your pocket/whatever.

Oh, the "infinite dimming" function is pointless. Fine to have two or three brightness settings, but infinite has no benefit except it's easy to knock on at a low level and flatten your (small) battery.

(Sorry it's against the narrative, but some experience does make things a lot better for novices)

** Those were generic no-name torches sold in dive shops. They were not the XTar torches.

I like magnetic switches, won’t buy a mechanical switch dive light because I’ve had a few seal failures with them. Infinite dimming sounds like it might be nice, better than clicking through a dozen settings.

You never answered your own question though: why CAN’T he turn it on quickly? Is there some weird induction effect putting a limit on speed?!

Piezoelectric switches work best. One caveat— the cheap & nasty no-name Chinese torches with piezo switches fail. Had three of them in the early days after the sliding switch ones failed. Guess what…. The piezo switch torches failed. One was dead on arrival, one failed after about 5 dives, and the other was so quirky to turn on and off that it was basically broken.

However, after paying decent money for the Polish Light-for-Me 4Tec and NW7, these work really well over hundreds of dives in the past 6+ years down to 70ish metres. OK, except that Light-for-Me's service is diabolically poor, took 11 months to get a cable replaced.

Hi there, as there is a built-in magnet at the switch, which is paired with the Hall components in the circuit compartment, the switch slides back and forth to change the magnetic force sensed by the Hall components. It also need time for Hall components to react.

Disadvantages:

Current's always being drawn; battery flattens as a result.

Yes I agree this is a real problem,
even with peizo switches, which have latching electronics
I have one that doesn't seem to draw, but I still twist it an 1/8 of a turn on the triple oring battery compartment, which disconnect the battery, redundant safety

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom