Moped rental in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tfc111601

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good place to rent mopeds or cars in Coz? If so how much are they and where's the shop? We will be staying at the Brisas hotel, I prefer someplace near there. Thanks

I can give you a few names in that area, but I'd open by vigorously suggesting that you not rent one. There are serious accidents involving them on a regular basis, although you'll rarely hear about em.

Think it over.

DocVikingo

I agree with Doc 100%. While in Cozumel last March a woman was hit by a truck right in front of our eyes. It was a terrible site. The stupid thing slid right under the truck after it hit her. We ran to the front desk to call for help.
These things are not safe in Cozumel.

I have rented them in Key West without a problem, but for some reason (maybe Doc knows) Cozumel has a lot of trouble with them.

Go for a Jeep.

I used to work in Key West and I used to see serious scooter accidents all of the time. I have seen a drunk ride a scooter into a parked car. Saw one chick ride a scooter into tree. Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree. Seen countless car versus scooter battles. Cars always win.

Alcohol + Scooters = dangerous

Man that all sounds terrible, i think we will go for the car or jeep then. Any info on the best car or jeep rentals in Coz?

not only that, but a car will also provide you with that much needed protection from the mossies!

:wink:

Shop around as prices are negotiable & heavily dependent upon supply & demand at the moment. IMHO, skip the airport rentals. Not only do these cost a bit more, but the airport doesn't let them use the parking lot, so car has to brought in from city. This can waste up to an hour. I've had decent luck with Less Pay, Localiza Rent a Car, Motojers De Cozumel Hotel & Renta Ejecutive.

Rentadpra Aguila, Rafael E. Melgar #685, 872-0729

AutoRent, Carretera Costera S., 872-3532

Avis Airport, 55 Av Bis, 872-0099

Budget, Ave. 5 at Calle 2 872-0903

Dollar Rent a Car, Officina Centro, 872-4446

Executive Car Rental, Calle 1a Sur, 872-1308

Fiesta Cozumel,m 11 Sur x Pedro, 872-4311

Hertz, Av Rafael E. Melgar, 872-3955

Island Adventures, 20 Av #701, 872-5848

Less Pay, Rafael E. Melgar, 872-4744

Localiza Rent a Car, Calle 2 Nte x Rafael E. Melgar, 872-2111

Motojers De Cozumel Hotel at El Cid/La Ceiba, 872-5673

National Car Rental, Juarez / 5a y 10a, 872-3263

Renta Ejecutive, C Calle 1a Sur #19, 872-1308

Rentadora Cozumel, AV. 10a S at Calle 1, 872-3488

Rentadora El Dorado, Av. Juarez #181-C, 872-2383

Rentadora Isleña, Calle 7, 872-0788

Rentadora Isis S 5a Ave N, 872-3367

Rentadora Tucan Calle 2 Nte #81, 872-4525

Walker 's Car Rental Rafael E. Melgar #685, 872-4677

Best regards.

DocVikingo

tfc111601 for your own safety spend the extra few bucks and get a car. That way you have metal around you and not on you. Like Natasha I myself seen a wipe out right in front of me last month when I was in Cozumel. Thank God the guy wasn't hurt but could have been. As it has been stated already moped accidents happen in Cozumel. You don't want to be the tourist banged up on a ruined vacation. A couple of years ago we were flying down and saw a guy on the plane that was staying in our hotel. Our second day there we saw him walking into the hotel and he was a real mess. Had his arm in a sling and all. Guess who wasn't diving that week? What ever you decide becareful
:)

Thanks to all, especially Docvikingo, you're a class act all the way! I will definitely be posting an in-depth report of my Cozumel trip in May. The many reviews on this site have helped enormously.

First, those that have told you not to rent a scooter give very good advice. We have personally rescued a couple who had an accident and ended up face down in a swamp near Columbia Lagoon. There are more fatalities per year in Cozumel from moped accidents than dive accidents.

Secondly, as usual, the list provided by DocVikingo is very comprehensive. You may end up not renting from them but if you are planning on renting a car for the week, it would probably be worthwhile to at least check with the larger companies to see if there are any special promotions. On occasion, we've gotten some pretty good prices from Budget.

We have rented from several of the local outfits too. Less Pay will usually deal but remember when you are negotiating that they are going to add a mandatory insurance charge onto whatever price you agree to. Also, it has been our experience that on occasion, some of their vehicles were in need of maintanance. They rent VW Beetles (the old model), jeeps and Safaris, which we used call the VW Thing.

When they're not being used for their Tarzan (snorkle) Tours, Rentadora Isleña rents out dune buggies. That's really my favorite ride in Cozumel but if they're busy, you can't always get them.

Rentadora Aguila and Walker's Car rental are really the same operation and a good source for a jeep or if you feel the need, a min-van.

Mediakzar

http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel.html

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Shop around as prices are negotiable & heavily dependent upon supply & demand at the moment. IMHO, skip the airport rentals. Not only do these cost a bit more, but the airport doesn't let them use the parking lot, so car has to brought in from city. This can waste up to an hour. I've had decent luck with Less Pay, Localiza Rent a Car, Motojers De Cozumel Hotel & Renta Ejecutive.

AutoRent, Carretera Costera S., 872-3532

Avis Airport, 55 Av Bis, 872-0099

Budget, Ave. 5 at Calle 2 872-0903

Dollar Rent a Car, Officina Centro, 872-4446

Executive Car Rental, Calle 1a Sur, 872-1308

Fiesta Cozumel,m 11 Sur x Pedro, 872-4311

Hertz, Av Rafael E. Melgar, 872-3955

Island Adventures, 20 Av #701, 872-5848

Less Pay, Rafael E. Melgar, 872-4744

Localiza Rent a Car, Calle 2 Nte x Rafael E. Melgar, 872-2111

Motojers De Cozumel Hotel at El Cid/La Ceiba, 872-5673