moore's law applicable here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superhelix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So,

I just went out and bought the BP/W setup as my first BC.

- 27 lbs Pioneer MC System with stainless steel backplate 1x $505
- Active Control Ballast+ 1x $118
- Small Diver's Alert Marker 1x $48
- Knife Pocket 1x $14
- 3.75" Stainless steel bolt snap, .75" eyelet 2x $8

Holding off on the hose kit... gonna buck the trend and dive it with traditional reg setup...

Despite the DIR rig, don't have plans to dive nitrox in the near future (like keeping my options open though...).

Now the last piece in my gear kit puzzle is the computer / guage.

I'm getting geared up because I am heading to SE Asia for six months purely for diving (gonna take Rescue and Divemaster).

I have read a lot of the posts on this section, but I want to ask a specific question and see if anyone can help me...

I would prefer to get an AI wrist computer, and in general I have an expensive habit of gravitating to the top of the line gear (cool, it's wireless!), which seems to be from this board the Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox. But for $840 on LiesurePro, it seems a little steep for my first computer. Of course, giving up the potential Nitrox capability, I can knock this down to $600. Still a little rich, don't you think?

However, I would prefer to eliminate that hose and console if possible.

Questions:

1. How often are new computers being introduced? Is this at the same speed as regular desktops, in which case in 18 months my new computer will be practically obsolete? Or is there a resale market with these things (thus, buy the non-nitrox, get into nitrox in a year, and do the Aladin Air Z --> ebay --> Aladin Air Z Nitrox maneuver).

2. I want to wear a watch and I also need to wear a compass if I am going to stick to losing that extra hose. Any suggestions for configurations? Uwatec or Suunto seem to be the best brands in this area. What about compasses? Can I get a two fer one deal here, put 'em both on the same wrist, what's up with that? You'd think for $840 bucks, those guys over at Uwatec would throw in a freakin' compass, no?

3. If I decide that it is not worth the extra cash to go wireless, or to even go to wrist mounted...any suggestions on best consoles? What about the new Uwatec Smart Com? Although, not much savings there - it is listed on LP now at $675. Any cheaper alternatives to this gadget with similar functionality and reliability?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom