Moody Gardens in Galveston needs divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justin-branam

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's the scoop. I just recently started volunteering at Moody Gardens in Galveston. I went throught the 2-day orientation, and have started doing my grunt-work (32 hours required). After i finish that, i will be able to dive in their 1.1 million gallon Caribbean Exhibit cleaning glass and feeding the fish. Its not glamorous work, and it is volunteering, but i find it fun, and it will be a way to get some bottom time in every month in a tropical setting. they desperately need volunteers. you have to be able to cut up fish, like the salmon the penguins eat (yes they eat salmon), and things like that, before you get to dive. you do get discounts on things and get benefits like free IMAX viewings, and private employee party's. if you think you would be interested, call Yvette, the volunteer organizer, at 409-683-4108 or 800-582-4673 ext. 4108. the next orientation will be in spring, i think, and you have to be able to volunteer at least 8 hours a month (in 4 hour shifts, and you can work two shifts a day) for a year (you could do less, but then what would be the point). just thought i would let everyone know about this. Someone told me about it, and i have had nothing but fun there. feel free to email me if you want to know more.

BUT - I'm kinda volunteered out - but have a teenaged son that should be encouraged that way!

I'll go to work on this! Thanks

I would love to do that but I dont live in texas yet but when I get out there that is the first thing I will sign up for I have been to moody gardens his past june and love it..keep me posted :wink:

I read it was a 16-hour committment per month. Also they seemed to indicate that they had plenty of volunteer divers, and you'd have to "get in line" behind senior volunteers.

archman once bubbled...
I read it was a 16-hour committment per month. Also they seemed to indicate that they had plenty of volunteer divers, and you'd have to "get in line" behind senior volunteers.

We always have room for more divers. The weekend slots are a little tough to get, but we would love to have you.

Back
Top Bottom