Monterrey Dive Buddy (2/15- 2/21/15)- great reciprocal benefits.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrcooney3

New
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I am very new to the forum, joined today to make this post. Great advise from my local dive shop. I am headed down to California for a week in February and would love to meet some new friends and dive with them. I am super excited about the trip, wish I could dive and/or fish all week. Unfortunately lots of time will be spent with my girlfriends family in San Francisco, pigging out on all the great food we do not have in Alaska. Though I would love to dive for a day or two. Ideally mid week to avoid crowds.

I have only been certified a little over a year, but I am extremely comfortable in the water and around boats. I grew up commercial fishing the Outer Banks in North Carolina and since then moved to Alaska. I have seen some sloppy 35-40ft seas on the Bering Sea while on board commercial crab vessels as an Alaska Department of Fish and Game shellfish observer. I have logged thousands of sea days commercial fishing, recreational fishing and as a scientist.

My diving experience includes wrecks, night dives, quarrys, boat dives, shore dives and dry suit dives during the winter in Alaska. Though I am still a new and do not have an advanced open water certification yet. That is coming very soon.

As far a trades go anyone who takes me up on this, or even does not, is welcome to come dive with me in Alaska or North Carolina. Free room and board. We can also go camping, fishing or hiking as well, my other favorite things.

I currently live in Juneau, AK where we have some great shore dives. Also a few cruise ships sitting in 75-125ft in the area accessible by boat. Some local buddies and myself are planning to head to the outer coast this summer to dive Sitka as well.

I go to the Outer Banks to visit family a few times a year. Which is the "Graveyard of the Atlantic." Blackbeard's ship in sitting in 40ft of water right outside my 'home inlet.' Also great diving there with large pelagics (100s of sand tigers). I will be there in May and would love company fishing and diving. I have a boat there as well.

So if anyone wants to give me an underwater tour of Monterrey that would be much appreciated. Would be great to meet a dive buddy in another region and start a new friendship. Hope this is not too much to ask.

Cheers,
John

Can't be your buddy, been only once, but I dove with Captain MaryJo on the Beachhopper II and highly recommend them if you want to do some boat dives.

Beachhopper II

look to meetup.com we have dive planned for feb 14th, welcome to bring your SO as many of us will

you should try to find someone who has time during the week to dive pt lobos with you. it's a great site and usually not crowded during the week.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I heard from a friend in Juneau who just went down to Monterrery to get a recreational rebreather cert that Pt Lobos was the spot as well. I really want to do mid week like someone suggested to avoid any crowds.

As far a dive shops Breakwater and Bamboo Reef were reccomended by the same friend who was just down that way.

Thanks for the invite Andrewy, unfortunately I get in late on the 14th so I cannot make that dive.

Thanks for all the advise, and please keep it coming. Still need a dive buddy.......
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom