Monterey Wave History

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the link. It's a nice forecasting tool they have. I traced back their data sources to the NOAA buoys. I'm interested in finding the root data people use because I'd like to take a stab at modeling visibility in 2016. I'm skeptical whether this is possible, but it'll be fun to try.

ScubaBumps

Think you got go look without connected drone or watch post under the water, and even... Only going to tell you right there. Surface conditions bear little relationship to vis, though surge can heavily influence drivability.
Still it's a cool idea if kind pattern correlation can be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more thing. There is an old rule that it takes Monterey water 3 days to clear up after a storm and Carmel 1 day. The reason for this is after getting stirred up those Monastery berries drop out faster than the finer Monterey sands. I know it's not this simple, but this would set a 72-hour horizon on visibility based on local experience. This is useful in modeling.

Has anyone else heard this 3-day/1-day rule before.

Thanks,

ScubaBumps

---------- Post added October 9th, 2015 at 04:23 PM ----------

You got it exactly right. Someone or something must make observations. The observations can then be correlated to available public data for temperature, wave energy, tidal flow, light, wind, and bottom composition to see if a pattern emerges. There are the objective dimensions to this: what's growing in the water, what's suspended in the water, how much light there is, and possibly what's dissolved in the water. There are also the subjective dimensions: how good is my eyesight, do I know how to correct for underwater magnification, etc. I believe the trick is to control for randomness by sticking to one well characterized dive spot.

Chances are this is not possible; however, I keep looking for things to do underwater, and this will keep me busy for at least a year. I hope to enlist some support from others and will say more about that later.

ScubaBumps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom