Monterey vs. North Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have done about 25 dives in Monterey/Big Sur from shore and boats. How do the conditions compare to the Sonoma and Mendocino coastline?

I have a number of friends that live in the north bay and I am interested in combining some diving trips with visits.

North coast marine ecologies are a little different from Monterey/Carmel, but there are big similarities too. We have no otters, more urchins, more bull kelp, lots more red abalone, and it's harder to get really deep on the N Coast. We have metridiums below about 40 feet, and fields of coraline algae along with the usual big ambush predators, fisheating anemone, sunstars, bat stars, and rock fish. No hydrocoral that I've ever seen and fewer big invertibrate blooms, but the rocks are alive with stuff.

NCoast dive spots tend to be more exposed and are more easily messed up from wind and swell, while there is almost always somewhere in Monterey that you can dive, except on very bad days. Acesss to shore diving is very nice, with Ft Ross, Stillwater Cove, and Gerstle Cove the more popular spots because of easy access and some facilities. Small boats launch out of Ocean Cove and lots of divers from northcoastdivers.org can be found diving from private boats up and down the coast. There are no dive charters at this time.

In summer and fall you can get big plankton blooms that can hurt vis, and there are longshore currents now and then that make dive planning and good navigation a must.

But the best way to find out is to come up and dive, see for yourself. See you there.

I'll also add that there are virtually no supporting services. Whatever you'll need, you need to bring with you. Heck, you're at least 1/2 hour from the nearest cell coverage.

That said, the diving is good and it breeds self-sufficient divers who are very friendly and helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Location is certainly a problem for the North Coast.

Monterey is located near a dozen dive shops, marina, hotels, etc. North Coast you have campgrounds, a general store with virtually no dive supplies (other than the lonely Bodega Bay Pro Dive 1 hour south of the dive sites).

As stated above, good boat and shore dive weather days on the North Coast are rare, wheras in Monterey virtually every day is divable. Even Carmel Bay has three times the good dive days as the North Coast.

If you're interested, NCD is having their monthly dive outing this Saturday (09/05) at Stillwater Cove in Sonoma County. September 5th NCD dive at Stillwater Cove

Cell phone coverage is hardly available at best. I believe either Verizon or Sprint users can get a signal at the Northern Gerstle Cove parking lot when standing on top of the rocks. I've heard of cell service available somewhere around the Fort Ross Store but I'm not sure which provider this one works for.

Verizon phones do work from the Gerstle Cove parking lot, but I haven't found service anywhere else on the NCoast.

If you're interested, NCD is having their monthly dive outing this Saturday (09/05) at Stillwater Cove in Sonoma County. September 5th NCD dive at Stillwater Cove

Cell phone coverage is hardly available at best. I believe either Verizon or Sprint users can get a signal at the Northern Gerstle Cove parking lot when standing on top of the rocks. I've heard of cell service available somewhere around the Fort Ross Store but I'm not sure which provider this one works for.

There's a cliff a little ways north of Fort Ross that has a circular dirt road out to the tip. If you park at the farthest tip of the cliff, then you can get service with AT&T.

There's a cliff a little ways north of Fort Ross that has a circular dirt road out to the tip. If you park at the farthest tip of the cliff, then you can get service with AT&T.
That just reminded me...what were you doing pulled off the side of the road after the camping trip? I wasn't sure if I could make a turn around with my trailer behind me, so I hope you were not having car problems? It didn't look like it.

I for one, happen to be very partial to north coast diving. I know it can be a pain having to bring everything out with you, and the conditions can be quite challenging, but I have had so many nice weekends on the coast. Having lived up by Mendocino for about 5 years, you really get to enjoy the slow pace and incredible beauty the north coast offers. One perk... ...you don't have to fight for parking spots!!!

BTW - love Monterey too, I'm not dissing it!

That just reminded me...what were you doing pulled off the side of the road after the camping trip? I wasn't sure if I could make a turn around with my trailer behind me, so I hope you were not having car problems? It didn't look like it.

My check engine light did come on but it wasn't anything to worry about. I think that time I stopped was to take pics though.

Back
Top Bottom