Monterey Pics 7-19 & 7-20-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Continued good diving conditions have made for continuing decent pictures. Lot's of the same subjects, but some new stuff as well.

First dive, Captain Carols Pinnacle Dammit (named for my lovely wife) just off Lover's Point.
Bay Pipefish
P7190027-01cropsm.jpg

The Steam Engine on the deep shale off Del Monte Beach
Tube Hermit Crab
P7190037-01cropsm.jpg

Triopha Catalinae (Clown Dorid)
P7190043-01sm.jpg

Some sort of little Rockfish Fry. This is the first year I've seen these in real numbers here.
P7190050-01cropsm.jpg

The Barge, on the outside of Breakwater Cove

Three Hermit Crabs discussing something about the big pile of squid eggs behind them.
P7190065-01cropsm.jpg

A ling hiding out in the squid eggs, waiting for lunch to swim by.
P7190085-01cropsm.jpg

Sunday morning, back to Anchors 2 & 3 on the deep shale to see if the Dirona Albolineata are still there, as our friend John has never gotten a picture of one. (BTW, congrats to John for having several of his pics featured in Paul Humann's latest edition and his mug shot in the front of the book).

As you can see, they were still there.
P7200109-01pssm.jpg

along with a Dungeoness Crab
P7200095-01cropsm.jpg

another little crab
P7200105-01cropsm.jpg

and a Red Octopus
P7200120-01sm.jpg

on to Mola Mountain at Hopkins off the Aquarium, which lived up to its name with this little Mola Mola
P7200127-01cropsm.jpg

more Hermissendas, which seem to be everywhere this summer
P7200145-01sm.jpg

Another Juvenile Rockfish, Gopher I think, but maybe Copper
P7200152-01sm.jpg

A nice Cabezon
P7200153-01sm.jpg

and our third Red Octopus of the weekend, this one pretty big.

P7200136-01cropsm.jpg

P7200132-01cropsm.jpg

Why is it when I go to Monterey I don't get this much diversity on my dives?

Nice shots!

john

Thanks John. You're diving the wrong sites or you're not poking around in enough holes! It really helps to have the 50ft.+ vis we've been getting the last couple of weeks, so that you can not only see where you're going, but actually see what's there when you get there!

Amazing shots Larry. The Octopus are pretty incredible (maybe that is because I see nothing like that when I dive). Are these the same giant red octopus (only smaller versions) that were attacking people over the last couple of years.

P7200109-01pssm.jpg

on to Mola Mountain at Hopkins off the Aquarium, which lived up to its name with this little Mola Mola
P7200127-01cropsm.jpg

Thanks for the wonderful photos & the descriptions!
This nudibranch photo is stunning (n sharp)!

Do u get Mola Molas regularly there? Lots of people go diving at Bali to see them... :wink:

Thanks Steve & Xariatay. I've seen about 4 or 5 Molas here over the last few years. They're generally small ones, about 14-18". Unfortunately, as you can see by the top fin, they don't last long in California waters. The Sea Lions like to play with them and bite their fins off, though they don't eat them as apparently everything but the fin is poisonous to the Sea Lions. Instead they die a slow death, flopping around on their sides on the bottom, no longer able to swim. I saw one of them in that condition, still alive, and it was quite sad. One of our dive buddies actually saw a Mola bigger than he was, right at Mola Mountain where we dove this weekend. I think that sighting and others at the time were what got the dive site its name.

Playing with the food :no
I feel really sad to hear the sad plight of the poor Mola Molas at Monterey :( Can imagine how painful it must be for them... Thanks Larry, I've learned something new today...
There was a report in a Singaporean Chinese news website/ newpapers "introducing" a restaurant that served Mola Mola... :11: Oops, sorry digressing fr the nice photos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom