Monterey dive recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LottaBeachNoOcean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be in the Tulare (Fresno) area in mid-August, looking to dive in Monterey Bay or thereabouts. I'm looking for easy dives for a couple of older OW newbies, like, depth of 40' or less, easy ingress/egress, lots of stuff to see... If you were only going to dive the area once in your life, does anyone have any recommendations for:

guided dive operators

best shore dive

best boat dive (we'll be going mid-week so this doesn't seem likely)

anything else (other than the aquarium) I should do while I'm there?

thx!

The Beach Hopper sometimes has mid week boat dives. (And they are very nice too!) I am on my phone so can't link but if you google 'Monterey dive boat beach hopper' you will find it.

For a shore dive, Pt Lobos for a option that will give a good chance of an easy entry and good things to see. Check the local board's dive conditions thread at that time to see what things are currently like.

Breakwater or Lobos for shore dives. Be sure you're equipped and prepared for the cold water. You might be able to rustle up a local buddy posting in the NorCal section.

Thanks for the tips! I've been researching both locations a little bit on-line and they both look like what we're looking for.

My follow-up questions are:

Do we need to float our own dive flag at either of these locations?

Is there any other equipment we'd need that an operator would provide as a matter of course if we were taking a guided dive in either of these locations?

Thanks,again!

No need to tow a dive flag. In fact, it would be a very bad idea with kelp. No one does that.

Be sure to check out this webpage for info on Monterey diving for new divers or divers new to Monterey. New Monterey Diver Information

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom