Monterey and Carmel Bay Marine Protected Areas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do you know your MPA's? It's been a year since the new MLP's were implemented on the Central coast but there is still a lot of people who aren't aware. (Chuck and the other boat guys often have to chase people out of these MPLAs)

click on picture for the high rez pdf version

WHAT ARE MARINE PROTECTED AREAS? From "Introduction to MLPA" CA Dept of Fish and Game website
Defined in Public Resources Code, Sections 36602 and 36710
A "marine protected area" (MPA) is a named, discrete geographic marine or estuarine area seaward of the mean high tide line or the mouth of a coastal river, including any area of intertidal or subtidal terrain, together with its overlying water and associated flora and fauna that has been designated by law or administrative action to protect or conserve marine life and habitat. MPAs are primarily intended to protect or conserve marine life and habitat…

(a) In a state marine reserve, it is unlawful to injure, damage, take, or possess any living, geological, or cultural marine resource, except under a permit or specific authorization from the managing agency for research, restoration, or monitoring purposes. While, to the extent feasible, the area shall be open to the public for managed enjoyment and study, the area shall be maintained to the extent practicable in an undisturbed and unpolluted state. Access and use for activities such as walking, swimming, boating, and diving may be restricted to protect marine resources. Research, restoration, and monitoring may be permitted by the managing agency. Educational activities and other forms of nonconsumptive human use may be permitted by the designating entity or managing agency in a manner consistent with the protection of all marine resources. [PROHIBITS ALL EXTRACTIVE ACTIVITIES]

(b) In a state marine park, it is unlawful to injure, damage, take, or possess any living or nonliving marine resource for commercial exploitation purposes. Any human use that would compromise protection of the species of interest, natural community or habitat, or geological, cultural, or recreational features, may be restricted by the designating entity or managing agency. All other uses are allowed, including scientific collection with a permit, research, monitoring, and public recreation, including recreational harvest, unless otherwise restricted. Public use, enjoyment, and education are encouraged, in a manner consistent with protecting resource values. [PROHIBITS ALL COMMERCIAL EXTRACTIVE ACTIVITIES AND POTENTIALLY SOME RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES]

(c) In a state marine conservation area, it is unlawful to injure, damage, take, or possess any living, geological, or cultural marine resource for commercial or recreational purposes, or a combination of commercial and recreational purposes, that the designating entity or managing agency determines would compromise protection of the species of interest, natural community, habitat, or geological features. The designating entity or managing agency may permit research, education, and recreational activities, and certain commercial and recreational harvest of marine resources. [LIMITS RECREATIONAL AND/OR COMMERCIAL EXTRACTIVE ACTIVITIES]
(I added the bold type and spacing for ease of reading)

As divers we are should know what we can and cannot do when we are diving in certain spots. Also as responsible stewards it is also our duty to warn other divers/anglers if they are unaware...

Finally report offenders to Report Poachers & Polluters:
Call Cal-TIP toll-free: 1-888-DFG-CALTIP (888-334-2258)

Last edited:
Would this thread also be good for Bloodydecks Northern California Inshore/Offshore Reports for H&L fishermen?

For California SCUBABoard members interested in recreational spearfishing, crabbing, scallops, lobster, abalone, etc.

Here is more info for recreational bottom fishing
California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Region

And the CA DFG Regs
California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Region

Take a look at Table of MPAs and Their General Restrictions
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf
It starts around pg 68 and discusses species prohibited or allowed for recreational take by area.

I'm not sure the maps will help. A couple of months ago, we shooed a fisherman out of Pt.
Lobos SMR who had that map in his hand. And Pt.Lobos has nice east/west north/south
boundaries so it's not rocket science to figure out from your GPS if you are in.

I've done some stuff so that my GPS shows the boundaries. It works for my Garmin, and
probably most Garmins. I suspect it could be made to work for others. But the real solution is
to lobby NOAA to put the boundaries on the nautical charts, then, by and by, they'd be on
everybody's GPS.

These are MPAs (Marine Protected Areas). MLPA is the Marine Life Protection Act, the law that
set them in motion. It's hard to keep those to acronyms separate. It confused me for a long
time after I got involved.

The SMCAs (State Marine Conservation Areas) are pretty much a NoOp -- they don't really forbid
much that was happening before. I'm not sure we have any SMPs (State Marine Parks)
anyplace we dive. It's the SMRs (State Marine Reserves) that are really important. They are
NO TAKE, PERIOD. But diving, anchoring, and transit with catch aboard (but fishing gear stowed)
is legal unless explicitly forbidden.

Here's some visual approximations of the boundaries:

Lover's Pt. SMR: from the extension of the SE (outside) wall of the Aquarium cafeteria out beyond
the rocky bottom to a line true east from the tip of Lover's. Includes almost all of Aquarium Reef,
Hopkins Deep, Ironing Board, and Lovers 1 and 2 (you could swim out of the SMR from the last\ two).

Asilomar SMR: From a line from the Pt. Pinos Lighthouse to the Pt. Pinos Buoy, then down to
the tip of Pt. Joe. Includes Pinos Steps, Strawberry Peak and some rarely dived due to conditions
sites.

Carmel Pinnacles SMR: I don't have a good visual description. Basically, most of Inner and Outer
Pinnacles, but not East Pinnacle, Forgotten Pinnacle, or Lingcod Reef.

Pt. Lobos SMR. From the south end of Carmel River State Beach (there's a very distinctive
rock there called "Wedding Rock" (and it is a nice place for a wedding)) true west down to a line
true west from Malpaso Creek Bridge. Includes Monastery, Mono Lobo, Pt. Lobos, Honeymoon,
Grey Zone, Flintstones, Pinnacle of Tremendous Proportion, Alan's Arch, Yanky Panky. This is
the jewel, IMHO. Note that Pt. Lobos State Reserve (not the SMR) remains under Parks and Rec
jurisdiction, and diving continues to be explicitly forbidden in about 80% of the park.

There's also Pt. Sur SMR, which runs from a lne true west from Pt. Sur Lighthouse down to a line
true west from Cooper Pt. Does not include any well-known dive sites (there are a few farther
south, but King Neptune protects those with distance and conditions).

The GPS coordinates have also been entered by a spearfisherman for Northern California with protected areas on Google Earth for anyone interested.

Attachments

• DFGupdated.zip
    27.4 KB · Views: 99
These are MPAs (Marine Protected Areas). MLPA is the Marine Life Protection Act, the law that
set them in motion. It's hard to keep those to acronyms separate. It confused me for a long
time after I got involved.

opss... fixed... I wanted to include some discussion about the MLPA but i figured that might be too hot of a topic...

Let's start out small with where the MPA's (and SMR's) are and go from there...

I agree with Chuck there needs to be better charts put out for the gps's...I work alot with the RFA(recreational fishing alliance) so I attended most the meetings in monterey area...in the late 70's/early 80's there was a big move to stop or limit scuba divers from diving in monterey...they said we would destroy the enviroment...we were literally followed as we dove and the number of times we touched the bottom or kelp it was logged..

What saved the divers then were the recreational fishermen who came to the meetings on our behalf and we won. If they had not spoken up for us we would have lost access to dive sites. However the fishermen realized that once the divers lost the fishermen would be next...fast forward to the 2006 and the fishermen were under attack, but the divers came and spoke against them...One thing learned in the prior hearings was "divide and conquer"...turn the fishermen against the divers and the divers against the fishermen/loggers ect. and we will all be defeated.

The goal is to eliminate all use of the water. One biologist at one of the meetings I went too said that to enter the water changes the enviroment and kills fish. So diving and wading or swimming kills fish and should not be done. In the north right now they want to close off access to the shore for abalone divers. This will funnel all ab diving into a small area. One of the closures is land that was bought with funds donated by the diver/fishermen.

Fish and game, the fishermen and committee reached an agreement on the bounderies for the MLPA then commissioner Hattoy (deceased) started changing the lines on a whim...F&G said they were confusing and would be very difficult to enforce...also most laws work because of Voluntary compliance..some aren't complying anymore...all in all there is a lot of confusion...when I've been out on a dive boat and the boat told a fishing vessel it was in a protected area the fishermen picked up and left...I've also seen other fishermen with better gps charts let other fishermen who were fishing in the protected areas know they had to move and they would and be thankful for the advice...alot of fishermen are also divers.

My problem is with boaters/fishermen who get too close to dive boats or divers..fishermen on shore or wharf fishermen who see divers in the water and throw their lines in next to them...I have also seen the BayWatch boat come in way too fast at breakwater into the kelp when divers are there. They should know better...

alibi_2: I went through the whole process on the Central Coast. I was at most every meeting.
Your statements are at least mostly untrue.

The only study of divers touching kelp or bottom that I've seen is "Diver Disturbance in Kelp
Forests", Schaeffer and Foster, 1998, and we divers got zero (in fact, negative) support from
the fishing community when that came out. The MBNMS agreed that it basically said "diver's
don't harm the environment", even though it was slanted the other way.

There were multiple proposals from the Central Coast floating around, but by the time there
was any agreement on the boundaries, Bob Hatoy had died. So he couldn't have change any
boundaries.

The only people I heard saying the goal was to eliminate all use of the water were paranoid
fishers.

I do agree that we have a problem with unsafe operation of boats. BTW, I haven't seen
BayWatch in a couple of years.

alibi_2:
I do agree that we have a problem with unsafe operation of boats. BTW, I haven't seen
BayWatch in a couple of years.
I was at Point Lobos last Thursday when the Carmel Highlands FD S&R crew was skipping around back and forth inside Whaler's Cove very fast. They definitely made me nervous when they came barreling in the sand channel as I was swimming out. Normally, on weekdays, the only boat I have to contend with is Phil Sammet's RIB, and Phil is always very slow and courteous.

Bruce

Chuck...what Im saying is true...and the facts back me up...if you want to call me I will get the name and records of the meeting of the statements made by the biologist...it was a hearing in santa cruz with the Monterey Salmon trout project...there was enviromentalist in the late 70's that DID follow us divers I can give you names of NAUI instructors you can check with...

There is also a state senator whose name I can give you to check with that will tell you the move to eliminate access to our resources ...not just ocean but hiking, camping, snowmobiling,,ect...also you may want to go to fishpolitics.com and go to divers issues area you can educate yourself about what is happening up north...

I did not accuse you of untruths,,,ie lying and would appreciate the same courtesy from you...if you want any information feel free to pm me but please ....lets try to keep it civil...and not resort to name calling...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom