Monday's (6/14) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Po'olenalena Beach, South Maui, 7:30AM, the launch site. Kaho'olawe Island is in the background and Molokini Crater is in front of it.
061404a.jpg

Red Reef Lobster (Enoplometopus occidentalis). About 4 inches long.
061404b.jpg

Distorted Triton (Distorsio anus). I wasn't sure if this was an empty shell or not so I did not collect it.
061404c.jpg

How did you get that little lobster to pose so nicely for you?

Nice...very nice.

1st shot: Looks pretty rough out there. I'd hate to put in in those waves/weather. :)

2nd shot: Wonder if it got into a fight and lost its left claw.

3rd shot: My favorite of this set. Incredible detail/lustre of the shell's lip (nacre?). It's really easy to blow out the highlights on a shiny part of the shell like that but you did a great job of bringing out the details.

I wanna be retired and dive every day like you do!

Beautimous!

awesome...

Getting ready for my first trip with my new rig this weekend, and first time ever with an external strobe. Therefore I am really checking out camera settings when they are posted. I noticed on these shots you used a very small aperature and a fast shutter speed. Were you in real shallow water?

By the way great pictures and thanks for always posting your settings. I like the lobster shot best. Great color.

azisme,
Those shots were taken at 72 feet. I just experiment with the shutter speeds and F stops. I use the faster speeds and higher F stops on brighter subjects like the shell. The lobster was in a very confined area so maybe that's why it came out okay on the higher speed.

Otter,
I got one shot off on that lobster before it turned and ran off. It was recessed in between the coral but the camera setup just fit in the opening and I had it zoomed all the way out. I still had to crop the pic to bring him/her to the forefront.

Dee,
I 'm guessing it lost one of it's claws in combat. Fortunately for them they get new ones every time they molt.

justleesa,
I wanted that shell for my collection:17:

Gilligan:
justleesa,
I wanted that shell for my collection:17:

I checked my "collection", I don't have one that I could share with you...I've only seen live ones too :frown:

How big was the shell? From the sand particles, I'm guessing 7-8".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom