Monday Photo ~ Faces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Fish faces have always facinated me.....

abf.sized.jpg

aav.sized.jpg

aae.sized.jpg

acn.sized.jpg

abu.sized.jpg

Here're a couple more faces... There's just something really cute about a balloon fish's face... Then there's that morbid curiosity when it comes to #2 :)

-Roman.

balloon.jpg

cuda2.jpg

I forgot about the morbid curiosity side....

abl.sized.jpg

Some curiosity...

aaa.jpg

aag.jpg

And some morbid...

aab.jpg

Dee, your morbid was definately more morbid than mine. :eek:ut:

Anyone ever notice how the caribbean 'cudas tend to spend a lot of their time along the bottom vs. Greats. I don't think I saw a great barracuda once below 30-40ft or so... Could be that they just seemed to be attracted by the loud rumble of the boat's generators.. Especially the larger ones. The particular one in my photo was probably over 5ft in size... Smaller ones would just pass us by, but there'd often be one or two bigger 'cudas that seemed to like hanging out right under the boat, swimming up to within inches of the divers hanging on the lines, vying for attention...

-Roman.

"Anyone ever notice how the caribbean 'cudas tend to spend a lot of their time along the bottom vs. Greats."

Great Barracuda are the barracuda found in the Caribbean. I see them at various depths, including fairly deep.

Walter once bubbled...
Great Barracuda are the barracuda found in the Caribbean. I see them at various depths, including fairly deep.

I was under the impression that they were different species. The ones I've seen in the caribbean tended to be much smaller than the ones further North in the Atlantic... I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they were two different species of 'cudas...

Aside from size differences, the ones in the Atlantic (N.Carolina) tended to prefer the topmost layers of the water column, I don't remember seeing many, if any, near the bottom. The ones in the Caribbean, would almost always hang out near the bottom... Normally I would've expected fish of same species to have similar behaviors and appearances. I'm not discounting the fact that I may have been mistaken, rather trying to understand the variations :)

-Roman.

notabob once bubbled...
The ones in the Caribbean, would almost always hang out near the bottom...

The ones I see in Coz are usually hanging at the bottom in some eddy to avoid constantly swimming into the current and ( I suspect) ready to pounce on some unsuspecting fish.

Otter

Notabob...what are the water temps in NC? Maybe they 'Cudas prefer warmer water. In your case in the shallower mid-water depths and the ones in Florida and the Caribbean at most any depth.

Back
Top Bottom