Molokini Backwall and Red Hill, 09/04/2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went out with bbscuba.com to the backwall of Molokini. I had the honor of diving with Blesi for both dives and she had her camera as well. We headed over to Molokini at 6am before the sun rose. It was nice and calm and there was little south swell on the Molokini backside. We all geared up and Blesi and I cruised the wall from 40-60 feet looking for interesting critters. We saw about 10 Blue Dragon Nudibranchs plus lots of Soldierfish and Squirrelfish, a few species I have never seen before. Most the fish would live in vertical gashes in the wall but some cruised out into open water. Trevallies cruised the wall not minding the divers. Belsi was really fun diving with and she pointed out things she thought I would want to see; I really like that! She's a great breather so sadly I ended the dive due to low air. The backwall must have had 200 feet of vis. I searched the open ocean for pelagics but I didn't see anything. The main group saw a Galapagos shark which they thought was about 8 feet long.
After some great snacks and drinks, we headed back to the island and to a spot called Red Hill. The vis was much lower but a respectable 50 feet or so. There was lots of interesting structure for critters to hide in and we saw lots of Eels, Nudibranchs, Green Lionfish, several large Helmut Cones and more. It was so funny watching the Conger Eel who was burried in the sand. We saw another Conger eel but he was too shy for a photo.

_DSC0004.jpg

_DSC0031.jpg

_DSC0018.jpg

_DSC0022.jpg

_DSC0033.jpg

_DSC0062.jpg

_DSC0032.jpg

Red Hill

_DSC0110.jpg

_DSC0094.jpg

_DSC0101.jpg

_DSC0103.jpg

_DSC0114.jpg

_DSC0131.jpg

_DSC0126.jpg

_DSC0111.jpg

Thanks for all the fun Brad and Blesi!!

Sean

WOW! you're getting really really great pics with your camera!

Aloha,
Lisa
(Hope that answers that question!)

Wow Sean, nice shots. The imperials and the bluedragon are awesome. And you even got a picture of the dragon moray. Nice.

Dragon Morray and the Crocodile Eel - wow ... though I think I'd keep my fingers away from his mouth :wink:

Glad you had a great time :)

kidspot:
Dragon Morray and the Crocodile Eel - wow ... though I think I'd keep my fingers away from his mouth :wink:

Glad you had a great time :)
Exactly my thoughts!

Awesome shots... but I've heard that croc snake eel can have a rather, uh, uneven temperament. I think either Randall or Hoover makes mention of that, actually. :)

Thanks everyone! It was great fun getting offshore and finding some new critters. That eel was fast asleep. Look at his eyes. he didn't move a bit the 5 mins or so we were watching him. My fingers were very clear of his mouth and just touching the back of his neck for a moment...We were very gentle and respectful and even tucked him into his sand bed when we were done.

I have have never been bitten by anything and will only touch something if I think I'm absolutely safe and it will not harm the critter in any way. Also I was the only one to pet the eel. Blesi was putting the sand over the eel in that shot and she didn't touch it.

Dive safely!

Sean

Oh, you saw a Zebra moray! I'm jealous . . . They are such amazing-looking creatures. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Good job Sean, makes me wanna get back over there soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom