Molecular sieve (Zeolite) and "The Big C".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do realize that you need to grind/pulverize the 13x absorbent and inhale the fibers right? And even that relationship is dubious since as mentioned, only the Zeolites native to Turkey have been liked to lung cancer. High quality 13x is not coming from Turkey, so you are mixing up different minerals. 13x molecular sieve is synthetically made, not mined.

Hey...slow down a bit. The original concern was raised by a supplier of zeolite (Airdive - Australia)..I'm just prompting discussion. The study from Turkey is but one of several linking Zeolite to Mesotheleomia. And yes, the fibres would need to be exposed through the structure of the material being broken down....which could potentially happen given the vibration an pounding typical of small boats. There is also the possibility that a filter tower that has not been drained frequently enough, could result in dampening of the zeolite, and as the fibres are contained within a kaolin clay there is a concern that the 3-4mm ball structure could break down. I hadn't realised high quality 13X MS was synthetic - I would need to check on the origins of the material supplied here in Australia. No panic here, but for SSBA applications, I'd prefer activated alumina if there is any doubt.

And Iain - you're right. 20 years back what got me started in Hookah diving, was a mate with a Clisby compressor. It was a great unit.

It should also be noted that the term Zeolite is somewhat generic for a bunch of different aluminosilicates. There are 40 kinds of naturally occuring zeolites and up to 150 synthetic. Not all zeolites produced in Turkey (or anywhere else) are suspected of causing mesothelioma. Actually only one type is is question...Erionite.

Zeolites have a wide variety of uses, ranging from kitty litter and detergents to catalytic cracking. Clinoptilolite is widely used for environmental cleanup of waste water, and I'm actively involeved in it's use for removing ammonia from air and water in underground mines.

Just re read this and feel I should tie down a loose end on the carcinogenic aspects. While I agree on most natural zeolite not being carcinogenic. The binder used in the manufacture of industrial synthetic zeolite (molecular sieve) is carcinogenic. In modern synthetic zeolites its the "binder" chemical (that make the ball shape) that is the carcinogen agent. This "binder" chemical can be up to 30% of the products weight. Its ineffective and inert like clay. It does nothing it adds nothing, it's just added in order to bind the synthetic zeolite matrix into the spherical chemical ball.

For industrial drying use, or PSA and VPSA use it's fine making oxygen say for a paper mill or steel works your not breathing the stuff.

But the kicker is the binders used in its manufacture are a known carcinogen hence the how to dispose of and carcinogen warnings on say the Bauer chemical cartridges and is the penalty for using industrial chemicals not designed for breathing purposes.

Medical grade molecular sieve by comparison (we discussed) is not bound with a carcinogen chemical agent hence is 30% more effective to begin with and also doesn't need the warnings as it is not carcinogenic. Hope that cleans up any ambiguity. Iain Middlebrook

Hello everyone. I am in the process of building a "medical grade" Hookah system for commercial usage in the Sea of Cortes. No one here uses dessecant filtering for their systems but I wish to do so in order to improve the air quality and attract divers to work with me. I was however on the verge of ordering Molecular Sieve 13x here locally in Mexico and now feel grateful that I found this very important post. I was previously considering using Alumina Activated but wanted to use 13x because of it´s Carbon Dioxide/Monoxide filtering.

I need help. I have spec sheets from my supplier here in Mexico with all the technical information. How can I identify if the molecular sieve that I have access to is safe to use?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom