Mogwai Rescue in the Hudson!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well now that I have your attention...

Last Thursday, on a dive in the Hudson near the Sacandaga confluence, my dive buddies and I came across a 2 foot tall concrete Mogwai, quietly sitting on the bottom just hanging out.

Pristine condition, standing straight up. This part of the river is under a bridge, so we're used to seeing stuff there.. old bikes, clothes (people jump off), coins, etc. First Mogwai :wink: You're not supposed to get Mogwais wet, so someone broke the rule, and we had to save him!

So we decided to keep quiet about it and come back the next week and rescue this Mogwai from his 60 foot grave. Got a couple lift bags, and brought this 80 pound solid concrete statue to the surface!

Here's a couple pics of the guy:

http://chum2.dyndns.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album13&id=Sacandaga01_8_22_02

http://chum2.dyndns.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album13&id=Sacandaga02_8_22_02

jepuskar once bubbled...
I'm impressed....now who is the chick in the first picture?

That is Joan, fiancee of Jon, who is also in the Mogwai picture :wink:

Sound like you guys had a blast. I'm jealous since I have not been in any type of water for almost a year now. I take it that was a river you guys dived/dove (?) in, what was it like (i.e visibility, water temp, conditions) I've only been diving in clear waters off of the Florida Keys.

Thanks,
DanBo

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food "

The first successful one since our Recovery class last fall :wink:

DanBo, it's the Hudson River, yes.. visibility is only about 10-15 feet, but the water is WARM (it was 71 today.. 78 last time), and there is current in parts. The river is very gorge-like at that particular spot.. for about 50 yards below a waterfall it gets narrow and deep, filled with lots of rocks.

Woo :wink:

Now who in their right mind would throw such a beautiful piece of art away?

Some people just have no taste!:winkbl:

I'm impressed....now who is the chick in the first picture?

I was thinking the same thing...isn't it funny how we all flock to any women divers?

I think it's the attraction to a lady that is outdoors, and enjoying your favorite activity. Two summers ago I saw an attractive lady with a mountain bike and a sailboard on the roof of her car. Since mtn biking and sailboarding have only recently been supplanted by scuba as my favorite sport, I wanted to propose to her on the highway. "Marry me now, we'll work out the details later."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom