Modifying or upgrading LED's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didje

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wondering if anyone could suggest a few links or books to learn about modifying lights to LED's or upgrading LED's to more powerful ones, and what it involves. I tried searching here and googling and didn't get much out of it.

Cheers :coffee:

Other than a basic electronics course, you would have to be more specific. It would depend significantly on what you were changing to what. And really the only way to do that yourself is to understand basic electronics. Horowitz and hill is a good place to start with that.

Hopefully someone will provide something more concrete, but I saw a link to something like this while perusing some dive light mod threads recently, so a tutorial of sorts does exist. If I recall, it was generally about working with LEDs and drivers. Start at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php, maybe ask there if you haven't already.

Hey, don't forget to post here if you find something. I've got an itch to go beyond module swaps into module fabrication, so I'd like to do a little larnin' too.

Last edited:
candlepowerforums.com for sure

Thanks guys!
I registered on candlepowerforums.com, it looks promising!

Thanks guys!
I registered on candlepowerforums.com, it looks promising!

Yeap... Most of my knowledge came from there, Airspeed Press Dive Light Companion, here and most of all personal experience.

Don't tackle a multi LED crazy ass design first. Go simple and small, single LED design and work up from there. Learn as you go. You'll eventually want to get tools and equipment for this.

So basically, you'll need a battery pack, driver, LED on heatsink, reflector (can buy LED reflector modules to keep things simpler...). Then take those parts and put them in a water proof housing.

Thank you, 350xfire!
I have a XS Scuba DL3 that I don't use anymore, I plan on trying to upgrade it with a more powerful LED. We'll see how what turns out!

You are welcomed. Just let us know how it goes and if you need further help ask and we'll help. What does the XS DL3 look like? Have a pic?

350xfire, here you go : XS Scuba LED Lights
It's the first one, DL3. Uber cheap - I figured I don't have much to lose if I screw things up :)

Back
Top Bottom