Modifying Halcyon Eclipse for tank band straps.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Halcyon Carbon Fiber Backplate seemed to work pretty well with the traveler wing from what I saw and it didn't seem to restrict inflation. The Carbon Fiber Backplate even has two raised ridges (1/8 inch or so) along the back that act like a STA when clamped to a tank. From what I can tell, the tank is about 3/8 inch closer to the backplate with the CFB than the STA, give or take. I just hate to buy yet another wing, when it's apparently the same wing with two big buttonholes. I'll look into that option if I can't find the sew-in gromets.

Did you try contacting Halcyon to see if they can modify the one you have?

You see with no centre panel the unrestricted air cell inflates outwards from between your back the plate
and tank, so the buoyancy is actually increased even with the top and bottom of the cell being restricted.

full

Buttonholing the lead sack

full

But only for the discerning imaginative diver

I'm impressed with your innovation and can see that you've successfully used a buttonhole stitch along the edges of the slots. I'm still looking for the plastic grommets, but the stitching looks like a viable alternative.

Just a suggestion, I am assuming that if you are willing pay for a Halcyon carbon fiber plate then you can also just pickup a DGX $200 wing with the slots already built in. DGX Gears S1 Singles Wing also it has the little retaining rolls to help hold the tank in place. I have an small 18# Apeks wing with these and they are pretty nice, they secure the tank well.

plus you can never have to many wings :)

It might be a solution, but a cable grommet is a little too soft and thick to be suitable. Halcyon, Diverite, Scubapro, etc. all seem to use a stitch in grommet. Others appear to be using an HF weld or heat weld. A PVC oval grommet may work out if I can find some to try. Or I can just follow the old-school Diverite example.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 21-23-43 2 75US $ 45% OFF 10pc Black Oval rubber wire grommet 25mm Gr...png
    Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 21-23-43 2 75US $ 45% OFF 10pc Black Oval rubber wire grommet 25mm Gr...png
    273.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Diverite Design.png
    Diverite Design.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Halcyon Design.png
    Halcyon Design.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 63
  • SCUBAPRO Design.png
    SCUBAPRO Design.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Old School Diverite.png
    Old School Diverite.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 68
  • PVC oval.png
    PVC oval.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 55
If you were local I would trade you my traveler wing for your eclipse. I really prefer using an STA since it makes switching from a singles wing to a doubles wing take a couple minutes.

Any specific reason you don't want to use an STA?

If you were local I would trade you my traveler wing for your eclipse. I really prefer using an STA since it makes switching from a singles wing to a doubles wing take a couple minutes.

Any specific reason you don't want to use an STA?
I have and really like the standard STA and weight integrated STA - but travel is starting again out here and weight/space are at a premium when I travel to some destinations. The carbon backplate is set up to work with or without a standard STA (a high-priced carbon-fiber STA is also manufactured), but every dollar spent on gear is a dollar less on diving.

I would take you up on that if I were there. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom