Modifying Halcyon Eclipse for tank band straps.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeamZissou

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm quite happy with my Halcyon Carbon Fiber Backplate for travel and it looks like it would pair nicely with the 30# Traveler Pro Single Tank Wing so that a STA is not required. Unfortunately, I only have a classic #30 Eclipse single tank wing, but the only difference appears to be the slots for the cam bands.

Does anyone have some experience with this kind of modification?

I can find a local shop with a heavy-duty sewing machine, but I'd like to identify a source for some soft grommets (?) that are sewn into the web of the wing to form the slots for the cam bands.

Any help is appreciated.

By the time you've paid for that and hopefully it works correctly, would it not just be more cost-effective to buy another small doughnut wing and sell the Eclipse? You'd even have a warranty.

Whilst the Eclipse is a great wing, others are available that will have the features you want.

My local sew shop will put in the grommets (?) for $10. I just have to find the rubber grommets. They can't be hard to find, I just haven't been able to find the right search term to identify a source.

And I still want to dive my Eclipse with a weighted STA when I'm not traveling. But I get your point.

I completely stripped out the centre of this wing, bound the edges
and then stitched weight belt grade top and bottom for the fixings

full

Allows for more expansion too, groovy!

those rubber slots are overmolded into that panel during manufacturing as an FYI, not something you'll be able to find. The sew shop can basically sew a giant button hole, but you'd be better off getting a different wing. You could also talk to Halcyon about buying a replacement traveler cover and putting the bladder and hardware from your eclipse into the travelers cover.

Thought….

If you use the Eclipse without an adapter, would the wing's performance be adversely affected due to the bladder being crushed as the cylinder is mounted much closer to the wing than it would be with a single tank adapter?

Thought….

If you use the Eclipse without an adapter, would the wing's performance be adversely affected due to the bladder being crushed as the cylinder is mounted much closer to the wing than it would be with a single tank adapter?
lift would be restricted a little bit, but function would not

lift would be restricted a little bit, but function would not
Wondering if the top and bottom of the doughnut would be restricted at all?

If the lift is restricted, wonder by how much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom