Modify my regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have two OLD Sherwood regs (recently serviced). The other night, we were practicing in the pool an OOA emergency and went to share air. When I got the reg from my buddy and purged it before putting it in my mouth, the purge button got "caught" on a little pin that sticks out from the side. See picture. As far as I can tell, this pin, which is on both the primary and octopus, only exists to keep the purge button held down, without having to hold it down yourself. I don't know why anyone would want to do this - esp. underwater, since it makes a metric ****load of bubbles and drains air.

So, I'm thinking of using my dremel and cutting this pin off, so that I don't have this case of the button getting stuck in the down position again while underwater. During our practice session, it was not a big deal since it was not a real emergency - I took the reg out of my mouth, worked on it for a bit and got it solved and off we went. In a real situation however, things may not go so calmly.

So anyway - thoughts on making this mod?

Thanks!
ND

Attachments

• sherwood.jpg
    sherwood.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 25
A few years back the idea went around that storing a reg with the purge button pressed would keep the lp seat from "taking a set" and thus improve longevity. This pin was designed for such storage. Turns out that it didn't make much difference and could (as you found out) hold down the purge button and cause a free flow. You should be able to just push this pin out without resorting to the dremel.

Storing the 2nd with the orifice pressing into the LP seat will set a groove and effect performance much quicker than with the pressure relieved. With almost all 2nds, the pressure on that seat is greater when stored than when in use (think about a downstream valve). I store all my 2nds with that pressure either greatly reduced or eliminated and routinely get 3 to 5 years (or more) of satisfactory service. If you do not trust that design not to be accidentally engaged, I suggest you disassemble and the the offending mechanism. Then consider inserting a dowel or similar device to hold the purge down during storage. Relieving the pressure on an LP seat will provide longer, satisfactory performance.

You should be able to just push this pin out without resorting to the dremel.
Well, I had to unscrew the face and sort of take it apart, but once I did that, the pin just kind of popped out. Easier than using the Dremel, that's for sure.

I'm amazed at how simple the inside of those 2nd stages was! Jezz. After looking at how dirty and corroded the metal fins on the primary were (no WAY it got like that after having used it once, last month), I'm also not convinced that they actually serviced it either. I guess I'll never know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom