Modified Super Sabrelite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kiwi Sean

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

I have an old pelican Super Sabrelite Submersible that i use as my backup backup dive light. It doesn't put out much light.

I was wondering if anyone had ever modified one of these to generate a more powerful beam - led conversion?

Sean

I havent done it either. And here I was thinking I was unique!

Problem with plastic bodies lights is the inability to dissipate the heat from the LED's. LED's do run cooler than incan's and HID's but heat kills LEDs where incans and HID's are not really effected by it.
I think it's UK that have produced a new light using an aspheric lens, Cree XR-E LED and powered off a 18650 Li Ion cell. From what I understand the heat sink runs the whole length of the internals and heats up the cell. Li Ions like to have a bit of warmth. BUT they only run the LED at half power. I believe the reason for this is because they cant dissipate the heat out of the light.

Anyway no reason not to give it a go. Try fitting one of these P60 drop in modules. You can get single mode ( my favourite) or multi modes. You may want to try for a multi mode one so you can dim it down to help control the heat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom