modifications to a backplate & wings system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PcPc

New
Reaction score
Recently purchased a SS backplate with deluxe harness and the 34lbs All-elastic bladder, considering some minor modifications, has anyone tried these or have any advice or insight?

1) I prefer a weight belt to integrated weights, but this puts 2 buckles on top of each other, so want to configure the buckle on the waist band so that its on the side, closer to the hip than the belly-button.

2) considering a zip-tie at the shoulder to keep the inflator hose in place, as it always seems to be hanging loose and in the way (hanging behind my back upon putting on the BC, in my line of sight if I'm ever in a slight head-down orientation), anyone try this or have a better idea on what to use to tie down the hose?

3) want to trim the excess webbing from the waist band and the shoulder straps, but am unsure if I might need some excess in the future for accessories, so any advice on how much webbing to trim?

1) I would recommend to you either a rubber belt with a wire bail buckle or a "SeaQuest" belt. That way you have completely different buckles on your rig and your weightbelt and confusion is minimized.

2) Zip ties have sharp spots, I'd use a piece of bicycle innertube or glue up a tube on neoprene.

3) I'd simple thread the waist straps back through yiour plate and then cut them off, that'll be more than you'll ever need.

2) I use a piece of velcro - like the ones you use to tidy up electrical cords. Keeps the corrugated and lpi hoses secure enough when diving but allows me to remove them easily in case I need to move things around.

3) On the side with the buckle, I have the webbing threaded back through the plate and the excess just hangs between the plate and the wing. For the side that threads through the buckle, after securing the buckle, I just tuck the excess so that it's out of the way but wouldn't hamper its release if I had to get out of the bp/w.

1) I prefer a weight belt to integrated weights, but this puts 2 buckles on top of each other, so want to configure the buckle on the waist band so that its on the side, closer to the hip than the belly-button.

It's pretty standard to offset the harness waist buckle to the right side - this way your crotch strap (if you have on) sits nice and tidy in the middle as well

2) considering a zip-tie at the shoulder to keep the inflator hose in place, as it always seems to be hanging loose and in the way (hanging behind my back upon putting on the BC, in my line of sight if I'm ever in a slight head-down orientation), anyone try this or have a better idea on what to use to tie down the hose?

a loop of bungee through the left shoulder slide will hold it in place but still let you raise it up enough.
See the second pic here: Hogarthian Harness Assembly Instructions - Dive Gear Express

3) want to trim the excess webbing from the waist band and the shoulder straps, but am unsure if I might need some excess in the future for accessories, so any advice on how much webbing to trim?

I've got about a foot of excess on the "open" side of the wait band, which tucks in nice and tidy through my crotch strap loop and EMT shears pouch. As well as a good 8 inches excess on the waist buckle end. Both are more than enough anything I decide to do differently with the harness. Excess webbing is also discussed in the above link.

... has anyone tried these or have any advice or insight?

No advice, but I can tell you what I do:

1) I prefer a weight belt to integrated weights, but this puts 2 buckles on top of each other

I use a rubber weight belt and wear it lower than the harness waistband. It sticks where I put it. It also has a different buckle style. I happen to be head-heavy so having the weight lower works for me - no idea how that would or would not apply to you.

2) considering a zip-tie at the shoulder to keep the inflator hose in place, as it always seems to be hanging loose and in the way

My harness came with several inner-tube type bands of rubber. I have one on the left harness shoulder strap above the D-ring. I run the inflator hose through that. Also, the inflator hose is fairly short, so it does not really hang down lower than me anyway. The band of rubber flexes enough to allow me to use the inflator hose when I need to.

3) want to trim the excess webbing from the waist band and the shoulder straps, but am unsure if I might need some excess in the future for accessories

I felt the same way, plus I do need more/less webbing for different exposure protection thicknesses. What I did was keep a certain amount of extra on the buckle end (vs. the "tongue" end) where it is less of a bother because it is unlikely to flap.

Blue Sparkle

really helpful, thanks

(I'm sure you know this -but just in case you don't...) If you do cut off any of webbing, be sure to melt the ends with a lighter so that it doesn't come unravelled.

Recently purchased a SS backplate with deluxe harness and the 34lbs All-elastic bladder, considering some minor modifications, has anyone tried these or have any advice or insight?

I offset my harness buckle to the side so it's not in the way of the crotch strap.
I use one of those elastic scrunchies that girls use in their hair. When threading the harness, I stick it on top of the tri-glide used for the the shoulder d-ring (so basically it's like a second d-ring, just made of elastic). I run my inflator hose down through that and it keeps it close and easy to find, but it's also got some give to it if I need to pull the inflator up a bit.
Anticipate the thickest exposure suit you might wear, adjust the harness for that, and leave a couple of extra inches for future "expansion." When I thread the buckle on to the end of my harness, I leave a bit extra on that end, then tuck it and run the excess back along my waist strap. I also leave a bit extra on the free end. My knife sheath keeps that tail from flapping around and getting in the way and it gives me a wider range of adjustment for my harness than if I just fit everything and discarded the excess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom