Moalboal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!
My diving in Moalboal has been limited to Pescador, Kasai Wall and great night dives on the house reef.
Are there other really great dive spots there that are worth going back? How about Sunken Island?
And which shop is best for service, setting up gear etc.?
Yours,
Liberty

hi liberty ;-)

moalboal is certainly not one of my favorite dive sites in the philippines. as you said night dives are about the best in this location.

however toward white beach there is much more life in the reefs.

ever thought about cabilao?

setting up gear? you don't want to have your gear set up by somebody else!!!

Hi!
Actually, I loved the night dives in Moalboal.
How about Alcoy? There is a shop there.
I dived around Cabilao. Is it much better than Balicasag etc.?
Yours,
Liberty

swisstrav:
hi liberty ;-)

setting up gear? you don't want to have your gear set up by somebody else!!!

I totally agree with this.

good morning liberty

i stayed at panagsama beach or something like this. as you said, night dives are ok. during days, i was diving in the shadow always. not very exiting. i was searching basically every single coral and coudn't find any life.

towards white beach, there is a italian run resort. apperentely there is quite good diving too. if you need more info, let my know. i should have the address/phone nbr somewhere.

cabilao is totally differnt. its full of life. if you are hard core diver and don't mind the need of degasing sometimes on the reef top, then dive with bobet. he is now with estrella.

if estrella is to basic, stay at polaris - the only place with power 24 hours. want to go more basic than estrella? between estrella and polaris is a nice little resort, run by a philippina. approx. 6 bungalows, each in different coulors. we paid 400psos/night. power between around 1800 to 2300 hours.

in order to answer your question in short:
yes in my opinion cabilao beats balicasag. although balicasag is nice too. dived always out of alona.
i rate cabilao as one of the top dive spots in the philippines.

how to get there:
don't fly to cebu. travel via manila, stay one night, get a descent rest and take the early morning plane to tagbilaran. you will be diving in the afternoon.

have a nice day

@greatwolf glad you agree ;-)

@swisstrav,
thank you. Cabilao is tempting, and I don´t need a pool!
Some more questions: How did you get there? Are there jeepneys and boats all day?
Where did you eat?
Who should I dive with for safe and relaxed diving?
Is the Filipino-run budget resort safe and clean?
By the way, is there fresh water on the island?
Cheers,
Liberty

Liberty01:
@swisstrav,
thank you. Cabilao is tempting, and I don´t need a pool!
Some more questions: How did you get there? Are there jeepneys and boats all day?
Where did you eat?
Who should I dive with for safe and relaxed diving?
Is the Filipino-run budget resort safe and clean?
By the way, is there fresh water on the island?
Cheers,Liberty

comm'on, a pool and a smb (san miguel beer) after the last dive is very tempting.

i transfered by day trip from alona to cabilao. banka/diving (sea explorers). pls note, most of the dive shops at alona beach do day trips to cabilao. if you wanna combine both destinations, this is the way to do it.

i would fly to manila, take the early mornig plane to tagbilaran haggle with the taxi drivers for a ride to mocpoc and finally a banca to cabilao. upon arrival in cabilao get a motorbike for the ride across the island. no cars on the island. it sounds much more complicated than it realy is.

or comming from cebu you have two possibillities. either catch a taxi to argao and get a banka direkt to cabilao.

or, taxi to cebu port, wait for the next fast farry to tagbilaran and then same procedere as described above.

in general it is much easier to leave the island by your own, rather than getting to cabilao

i ate at polaris. can't remember, but breakfast approx. 60 to 100 pesos
dinner between 100 and 200 pesos

yes, at that time, that little resort was clean and safe. it must still be safe (just a few inhabitants on the island), about cleanness i don't know.

accommodation is available with:

sea explorers: not recommended due to wrong location. you need to take a banka in order to get to the dive shop. that means you stay at the west side of the island as long as you dive. and just before sunset you move back to the resort which lays in the north. also during main travelling season you have a pretty strong wind blowing across the restaurant.

estrella: small basic resort, bookable in germany. since last year with own dive shop. bobet changed from sea exp to estrella. look at debelius "riff-führer südost-asien" two pages only about bobet. i loved to dive with him!!!

philippino resort: small, charming and basic. but was good enough for me.
the owner gave me a mobil-nbr but apparently it is wrong. no contact. im sure there are ways to get in contact with that resort. all our philippino frinds here might help ;-))

polaris: best resort with all amenities. as i said, also good food. cold smb for the sunset. german ran.

with whom to dive?
i clearly recommend bobet (estrella). but here, you will not be restricted by silly (german/american and also swiss) diving rules. that means, if its ok for you, it can go deep (pigmys) it can go long (exiting) and it can also be deco (on the reef top with lots to see). but this is all up to you. if you are an experienced diver who knows its own skills you are fine. if not, you will tell them and they will guide accordingly.

relaxed diving??? you are completely wrong. there will be so much to see, this is not relaxed by all means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more like "the known diving" will be at polaris. deep and long simply didn't match together!

unless sea exp. have redone their shop, i would not recommend them on cabilao.

fresh water on cabilao? no idea. water was ok for taking a shower. for drinking buy water at the restaurants or stay with smb in the evenings ;-)

recommendation: i would check in germany for a package with estrella. they can come fairly cheap. but if you travel on your one to some other destinations, do it at your own.

swisstrav

Liberty, Diver Dennis and Pakman have each a trip report on Cabilao and with pics too. Dennis stayed at Polaris while Pakman went with Estrella. I'm going to Cabilao this October:D

hi caloy, mind telling me ur dive details to Cabilao? could be a good alternative since ive checked w joy about anilao and this month's fully booked...

hi caloy, mind telling me ur dive details to Cabilao? could be a good alternative since ive checked w joy about anilao and this month's fully booked...
Hi Jon, yes Anilao is booked solid this month a clean up month.

We're going with Polaris Dive resort ( http://www.polaris-dive.com/ ) and will be taking the family house (aircon of course, hot showers, 2 storey) at P2,500 a night. Dive is $20-22 per.

Transfer is $60 (total) to resort/to airport (Tagbilaran). We bought our plane tickets (P1.9K pax) during a Cebu Pacific promo last March 07.

Contact Maria Baumann thru the site (yes she answers emails), tell her you're a friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom