MK20 and MK25 service kit the same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes they are.
The differences between the MK20 and the MK25 are: the seat retainer, a screw for adjusting the IP and a spacer, none of these need to be replaced.

Thanks Zung I knew one of you (Awap, Herman, DA Aquamaster, among others) would chime in! All of you are most helpful and I thank you.

I'll qualify the statement that they are the "same", as it really depends on the time frame in which they were made.

Scubapro has changed how they have packaged the kits since they made Mk 20 kits and the contents of the kits have also changed.

For example, the old Mk 20 kit used to include a white plastic backing o-ring for the Mk 20 piston as it used a single o-ring and a backing ring in the same groove. Over time there were 3 variants of the Mk 20 piston and the third one was eventually the same composite piston that is used on the Mk 25 - one that uses 2 o-rings and no backing ring.

So an early Mk 20 kit will have 1 o-ring and 1 backing ring, while a later Mk 20 kit will have two o-0-rings and a backing ring (to accommodate all the versions that might have been encountered), while the transitional Mk 20/25 kits will have all three as well. However the current Mk 25 kits will only have the 2 piston head o-rings.

The reason for this is that many Mk 20s have been updated with Mk 25 pistons, due to issues with the second version of the Mk 20 piston, and most techs have a stack of the white backing o-rings from kits that were not needed on pistons that did not require a backing ring.

The Mk 25 kit also contains an o-ring that goes around the top of the seat to add an additional seal as the Mk 25's adjustable seat reatiner has a tendency to leak, while that is not an issue on the Mk 20.

But generally speaking, as long as a Mk 20 kit has 2 piston head o-rings, it should work fine for a Mk 20.

WOW! That's thoroughness!

And a great reminder for a question: I have a stainless steel piston that requires the backing ring. Since it is no longer supplied with the kit, is it OK to re-use the old one?

Texfrazer posted the content of the current kit here.

Thanks DA Aquamaster. I have a MK20 kit I purchased and should be on the way. I was hoping I can use it for my MK25 (more or less). That is the information I was looking and alot more! When you are down I owe you lunch!

WOW! That's thoroughness!

And a great reminder for a question: I have a stainless steel piston that requires the backing ring. Since it is no longer supplied with the kit, is it OK to re-use the old one?

Texfrazer posted the content of the current kit here.
Re-using the backing o-ring is fine as long as it is in good shape, and they are very durable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom