Mk2 Deco Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a used reg to use as a deco reg and am looking at a mk2. I have seen a few listed on EBay as mk2 plus. What is the difference between a regular mk2 and a plus? What would be a good SP second stage to go with it? My other seconds are g250's and r109's.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

I believe the main difference is an extra LP port in the Plus.
The G250 would be the popular choice to use for deco although the 109 would be perfectly acceptable.

One of my deco regs is a MK2/R395. At 70' and shallower I don't see any reason to buy a more expensive 2nd stage...the R395 delivers plenty of gas.

Does anyone know if the DIN conversion kit that fits the MK10 and MK20 will work on the MK2?

the one I got from LP worked.....

and as to the other question, I use a 109--->156 on a MK-2 on my pony....

Does anyone know if the DIN conversion kit that fits the MK10 and MK20 will work on the MK2?

Yes it will work.

SP has not produced the MK2 (without the +) in quite a few years; many people refer to the MK2+ simply as the MK2. The 'difference' is a SPEC cap on the MK2+. There's no practical difference until you go waaayyy back and get one with a lighter yoke and maybe fewer ports. AFAIK they've had 3 LP and one HP port for decades.

As far as 2nd stages go, an unbalanced 2nd will increase in breathing resistance with this 1st stage as tank pressure drops below 500 PSI. That might be a nice feature for a stage or bail out bottle. So the R190 would work well; but the old 109 (metal case, not balanced) might be ideal.

So the R190 would work well; but the old 109 (metal case, not balanced) might be ideal.

That was what I was thinking and that the 109's can be had cheap and are so easy to rebuild with just the 3 orings do you know the sizes of the orings are so I can replace with o2 compatible. Will the seat in the 109 that comes from VDH be ok with o2 or will I need another seat?

Thinking about it a little more today I guess a downside of the 109 would be the non removable cover underwater.

Thinking about it a little more today I guess a downside of the 109 would be the non removable cover underwater.

I really would not worry about that. Pulling apart regulators under water is fun to talk about but hardly practical. Just wait, someone will post about how his life was saved because he was able to pull out the shark guts that got into his 2nd stage when he took it out of his mouth to tear into the shark with his teeth.

Back
Top Bottom