MK17/G250V equivalent to XTX50, XTX100, or XTX200 would you say?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phocus

Reaction score
Which Apeks reg would you say the MK17/G250V is equivalent to for deep and overhead technical diving? Is the XTX50 considered entry-tech while the G250V and XTX100 or 200's high-end?

Regarding the Apeks's, the second stages are pretty much the same all over, the major differences are the decals and the pressure adjustment or the lack there of. Check Tortuga's post.

Regarding the Scubapro's, I think they are better engineered, easier to take apart and reassemble, and give an overall solid and confident feel. On the other side, I hate that hidden "spring pin" inside of the Apeks seconds, and also those little plastic stops inside the housing that try to keep the "valve spindle" from rotating.

Finally, based on my limited experience with the Apeks, the G250V breathes a bit better.

So, for me, the SP's are highend, the AP's are very capable regs, but a (small) notch below. Of course YMMV.

I use Apeks XTX 50's w/the DST or DS4 1st stages on doubles/singles and stage bottles for the diving you mentioned and regular ow diving...I like them and have never had a problem....I send them to the UK factory for repair/routine maintenance 'cause I've never been happy w/any so-called 'Authorized' LDS 'tech's' and there hard to find any way...BUT.. I'm going to be trying the MK17/A700 'cause I don't like Aqualung's policies regarding so called "trade restrictions/agreements", price fixing and limiting selection here compared to the EU.....I've heard too many people say good things about Scubapro reg's not to try them and drop Aqualung/Apeks......

I would say the Apeks XTX-50 / DS4 is the equivalent to the G-250V / MK17. The XTX has advantage of being reversible if you decide to do sidemount sometime in the future.

... 'cause I don't like Aqualung's policies regarding so called "trade restrictions/agreements", price fixing and limiting selection here compared to the EU...

I'm afraid Scubapro isn't any better in this regard, probably worse. BUT the grey market is better organized and access to parts is OK-ish if a bit pricey.

I agree with Zung and don't have much more to add here.

Apeks does use little plastic tabs to help retain the levers in the air barrels, and while they do kepe the levers frpm popping out, they don't as Zung states, do much to prevent the air barrel from rotating. In that regard I much prefer the far stronger and more secure design of the Scubapro case, even though it does mean the materials used in the lever have to be of higher quality (springier metal and a little heavier construction), and that the case is not reversible.

With that said Scubapro could develop reversible regs for the G250V and S600 series, it would just require a separate case with a left hand inlet that would allow the air barrel to be rotated 180 degrees with the lever on the other side to accomodate the left hand inlet. The dealer cost of a new case for a right hand inlet G250V or S600 is under $10 but the cost of a mould for a new case is probably in the $60,000 range, and with smaller production numbers the unit cost would be higher - but still worthwhile to a G250V or S600 user who wanted a left hand inlet reg.

Back
Top Bottom