Mk15 Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, I have come to believe that there are two options for me. I have acquired a pair MK-15's from the wild and wooly days of NE wreck diving. Serious history on them. Pay forward, my turn to continue their existence.

Need HP. So I either upgrade to the HP version or upgrade to an MK-20. as an aside, rumor has it that there seems to be a part in the 15 that reg monkeys regularly destroy.

Details please.

Also, CAN'Tget a kit for either. Need two. Name your price, PM me.
DSCN1682.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1682.JPG
    DSCN1682.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The original Mk15 had an unsuccessful HP seat arrangement identified by the big allen fitting in the seat retainer. I had no idea it was a pressure-related issue. I had heard that there was a problem with the piston cutting into the seat, destroying it, and causing immediate and catastrophic IP spikes, or even worse, getting stuck in the seat and not letting any air pass. I suspect that SP decided not to publicize those issues. I've never seen a MK15 with the old version of the seat retainer. I'm sure you can find a new style seat retainer, AKA upgrade kit, if you look around. I may have one someplace, but try to find it elsewhere first, if you get seriously hung up, PM me.

I have several of the nylon washers needed to rebuild the MK15, I can easily spare some of those. I don't know about seats, I might only have one or two in which case I better hang onto them. But they're around, you'll find them. Other than that it's really just o-rings; you can re use the circlip and the brown plastic washer.

Mucho thanks guys!!

Looks like the 15 was a bit of a design stretch. But I can easily understand the design issues. Without it there wouldn't be the revered MK-25. I really love the history of the "growing pains" that this little reg has.

Looks like I may only need ONE high pressure upgrade kit. :wink:

Cheers, everyone.

-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom