Mk 25 thin shim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Happy with my new DIY.
0.010" PVDF sheet from McMaster-Carr.
15/16" and 11/16" arch punches with some careful alignment in making the center hole, and some discards.
IMG_20221009_124441.jpg

Nylon is a close color match, but slightly more brittle. PVDF seems a good choice, unless a plastics guru can tell me otherwise. I have black acetal to try as well, but that's quite stiff. We'll see if it shatters. And PTFE sheet is certainly slippery, but feels too soft to maintain thickness.

If Scubapro won't sell to me, then what's a guy gonna do?
Now, if only I actually dived a Mk25. :rofl3:
But it works on my old Mk 10+ as well.

In the body or the seat retainer? I thought the MK25 had a larger spring shim diameter.
Seat retainer shim for Mk10+ IP adjustment is exactly same size as Mk25 spring shim. I should compare part numbers to confirm, but they look identical to me.

PVDF is a heat moldable cousin of PTFE so should be stable and resistant to most things.
IIRC it's less prone to creep than PTFE, but don't quote me on that.

If the price works it's probably better than nylon or acetal.

Now whilst they're thicker but in some places thin
donuts from milk bottles go behind my burst discs

Another nice innovation. I've always found the SP shims to be less than ideal; I'd like them to be stiffer and available in various thicknesses as some other piston reg manufacturers have done. I'd like to use one shim only and be able to choose it to raise IP the specific amount I need for a particular reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom