Miyazaki diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mushroom King

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In August I'll be in Miyazaki on business and fully intend to dive. But where?

Anyone have any experience in the area? or heard of some dive ops I can contact?

I don't really have the time to head far away so I want to stay in the Miyazaki-shi area and perhaps just south (nichinan) of that area.

Any advice would be appreciated by the SB Zen gang!

cheers!

M

Time to Follow up. I did make it to Miyazaki during Obon and got in a some diving. I'll post a bit here in case in the future someone is looking for info.

There are 2 main areas for diving in Miyazaki-ken. One is north of Miyazaki-shi, (nobeoka) and one south of Miyazaki-shi. I went south, about one hour by car, to the area called Nango. The coast line was fantastic and it was a nice drive. But definitely out in Inaka !

There are a few dive shops based in Miyazaki that can do trips both ways, but I went with one based in Nango called K2 dive service. They were reasonably OK and I'd use them again if I go back.

Unfortunately, the week before had heavy storms and the viz was only 8-10 meters compared to the normal (I'm told) 20-30m. The water was warm and the sites were pleasant. Lots of fish, and as you would exepct more warm water fish than in Izu. However, the bottom was, kind of 'dirty'. Not sure how to describe it, but not 'clean' like in Okinawa or Izu. It was similar to some dive spots I've gone to around Enoshima...
Overall I would say that it was good diving, definitely go if you're in the area, but not worth a special trip in my opinion.

Highlights included TWO Harlequin shrimp feasting on a starfish, some fantastic crabs and shrimp, a praying mantis shrimp. and a pygmy sea horse.... or so I was told by my guide, I actually couldn't see the pygmy. (oh, and a LOT of uni)

Here are a few pictures
IMG_04181.jpg

IMG_03652.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 67
Very nice.... A640, any strobes?

Great shoots Murray. I like the Harlequin. You know those are quite rare... It seems like it is worth a trip down there... at least if you got good eyes and can see the pygmy sea horse :D I will tell you about our wreck trip in the Baltic next week. It will not be warm, colorful, or good vis though :eyebrow:

My trusty A640, but no strobe. Would love to invest in one... but still a few more things on the 'must have' list above the strobe. <sigh> too many things this hobby 'needs' :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom