Mixing undergear and suit???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Renthorin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Years ago I was given a tri-lam drysuit with underwear. Suit is too big for me and in need of repair so I do not use it.

I just bought a Viking suit off EBAY but it does NOT come with underwear.

I like the fleece underwear from the tri-lam and it fits me well enough.

Question - is it ok to mix and match? Fleece from tri-lam and suit from Viking?

I have not yet taken the DS course so I don't know much about them but I would think underwear is underwear right?

Thoughts and comments appreciated :)

Will

I have never considered myself a troll but I do live in the lower penn of Michigan and I hear we are called "trolls"....

I'm sorry if this is a basic question, I'm new to DS's and all.

yes, underwear is underwear

but it really sounds like you NEED to take a DS course, not to mention find a dive shop that will walk you through the setup and fitting of the suit before the class.

A DS presents a whole new set of issues that you need to be aware of, and how to prevent and ulimately combat them. Find yourself a good shop up there, and I know there will be a bunch of them, many many people dive dry in the Great Lakes.

I think you can answer this question yourself. It compares with the equally demanding dilema, can you wear blue suede shoes with blue genes and not be afraid that the colors will contrast?

Yeah I frequent 3 of the local shops. My question was more of will my existing underwear do or do I have to now also shop for "viking" underwear.

thanks for the responses :)

Renthorin,

I apologize for some of the less that friendly responses you received, but, yes, you can use any type of insulating underwear that you so desire under your dry suit.

The purpose of the dry suit, itself, is only to prevent water from touching your skin. The under garments serve only to insulate and wick off perspiration.

the K

They're interchangable. Kind of like using parts from a Monte Carlo in a Grand National. In fact, the ebay suit isn't going to be under waranty, and neither is your grand national. So, FWIW use what works and is cost effective.

Ah not to worry. I am thick skinned :)

I have already looked into the next DS class at my local shop and will take the next step and register.

I don't mind diving in cold water in a wetsuit. My Scubapro semi-dry kept me warm for almost an hour long dive in March but then I had to get out and I was wet. Think it would be fun to try staying totally dry for once when the water is icy.

Last Boy Scout - not too many interchangeable parts between a monte and GN but there are some, mostly suspension. Nothing engine for certain :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom