Mixing regulator brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allan Kaizer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey, I've been looking around at a bunch of old posts on this topic and found a lot of good advice, but never really found a clear answer on one important topic:

Does mixing first and second stage brands void warranties?

It it a brand specific thing? Some are more lenient than others?

I'm about to pick up a HOG cold water 1st and second stage, and at the moment I have a Seac-sub synchro octo that I bought during one of scubastore's deals. Should I just sell the synchro to buy a HOG second stage for a secondary air source, or could I use it with warranty uninjured?

Thanks everybody, and I do apologize again for bringing this back up. But a definite answer would be great, especially from many of the dealers on the site.

Cheers, Allan

What in the world do you think putting a different second stage on the first stage is going to do exactly? Is decreasing the manufacturer's sales considered a basis to void a warranty?

The HOG D1 second stage regs come factory tuned for the D1 first stages, do be sure to have them tuned to your first stage of choice by a reputable HOG dealer in your area.

By the way, one of the reasons HOG sells the first and second stages seperately with no hoses is because they are aimed at the tech divers that know what they want, how to obtain what they want, and how to install what they want. :)

The HOG D1 second stage regs come factory tuned for the D1 first stages, do be sure to have them tuned to your first stage of choice by a reputable HOG dealer in your area.

OK let's deconstruct this a bit. "Tuned" means that the second stage as been adjusted to work optimally for the pressure the first stage provides. Almost all first stages provide an intermediate pressure of 125-150 psi with a tolerance of 10 psi or so. In practice almost any second stage will work with almost any first stage. The mysterious "tuning process" consists of turning a nut in the second stage perhaps a quarter of a turn, or changing a shim in the first stage to change the intermediate pressure. That might take upwards of 10 minutes to do, if you really do not know what you are doing. But do feel free to go to a "reputable dealer" so they can turn a nut for you. Your lighter pocketbook will help streamline your dives.

If you hook it up and it breathes as you expect (or desire) then I wouldn't bother getting it tuned to your D1 fist stage. If it free flows or is hard to breathe with, then go get (or do) a quick adjustment. It won't take long at all...not every LDS or tech will try to charge you for a little adjustment which may take 5 or 10min at most. Some (sadly not all) still believe that great service will build ongoing business.

OK let's deconstruct this a bit. "Tuned" means that the second stage as been adjusted to work optimally for the pressure the first stage provides. Almost all first stages provide an intermediate pressure of 125-150 psi with a tolerance of 10 psi or so. In practice almost any second stage will work with almost any first stage. The mysterious "tuning process" consists of turning a nut in the second stage perhaps a quarter of a turn, or changing a shim in the first stage to change the intermediate pressure. That might take upwards of 10 minutes to do, if you really do not know what you are doing. But do feel free to go to a "reputable dealer" so they can turn a nut for you. Your lighter pocketbook will help streamline your dives.

It's my go-to response if I don't personally know anything about the diver in question who may or may not have the skills or the confidence to operate on it- so better me give the advice for the dealer to do it, so I won't have to give "over the internet instructions" that do tend to be quite vague.

So, better the LDS screw it up than me give him the advice to remove the hose, get an allen key, press the purge button, and give it a quick turn and HE screw it up :)

I guess I've been running a business too long... I'm always trying to avoid a "he told me to do it" situation! :rofl3:

What in the world do you think putting a different second stage on the first stage is going to do exactly? Is decreasing the manufacturer's sales considered a basis to void a warranty?

SSHH!! Dang it, man, don't give the manufacturers any ideas!:no:

Back
Top Bottom