Mixing/matching Atomic regulator 1st and 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gchilcott

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am currently using ST1, Z2 and Z3 regulators. All were purchased within the last 3 years. I plan to add an M1 at some point. Are there any combinations of first and second stages in this group that you recommend against?

Hi GchilcottNice line up! There is no reason why you can't mix and match those firsts/seconds. The Z2, Z3, and M1 all have the same alloy first stage...The ST1 is the only one with a different alloy...But that is no reason to not mix/match if needed. Is there any specific diving you are doing that you may have to mix/match the units?Thanks for the post Gchilcott...Kind Regards,Ryan KenneyAtomic Aquatics/Huish Outdoors

this is a general statement that applies to all regulators, but make sure that when you make any changes to regulator sets that weren't tuned together that you ensure that the IP's are identical. While they'll still work with no problem, for optimal breathing performance they should be tuned together. The only regulators that you'll have compatibility issues are the Poseidons as they operate at a different IP than "normal" style second stages, with two designs being much lower IP, and one being much higher.

Thanks. I'll check the IP's on all my Atomic's to see how close they are to one another.

I also have an old Poseidon regulator that I don't use much any more, and was aware that the IP is higher on that one, and wouldn't have put a non-Poseidon second stage on that first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom