Mixing Cam Bands and STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's from Lake Lanier, north of Atlanta in Georgia. I hope the viz is better in the White quarry than this lake. :)

Gotcha, I have yet to dive Lanier, have not really had the desire. But, I cut my teeth at the quarry in White. Viz is much better as long as there are not a ton of students in it. LOL

PS. I am in Acworth/Woodstock area.

Yeah, still debating, especially since I need two.

I have (and recommend) a normal cam strap at the top of my back plate and one like the scuba pro that you linked to through the lower slots near the bottom. It makes changing tanks much more convenient than trying to get a normal cam strap on the bottom to slide up over the tank after a dive, especially with weights in the pockets I have on my waist belt.

It can be a pain to get the ring end on the hook end sometimes but I think that is because my quick release strap is fairly new and is still stretching when wet. I also found that the model I have (from Edge-Hog) that on a 12L tank (approximately the same dimension as as an AL80) that the hook side of the velcro completely overshoots when the loop side of the velcro. I am using a couple of sections of mt bike inner-tube to manage the tail of the strap and so far it has not slipped. I may, in time, get a local shop to sew some more velcro in place for convenience though.

-Z

I have (and recommend) a normal cam strap at the top of my back plate and one like the scuba pro that you linked to through the lower slots near the bottom. It makes changing tanks much more convenient than trying to get a normal cam strap on the bottom to slide up over the tank after a dive, especially with weights in the pockets I have on my waist belt.

It can be a pain to get the ring end on the hook end sometimes but I think that is because my quick release strap is fairly new and is still stretching when wet. I also found that the model I have (from Edge-Hog) that on a 12L tank (approximately the same dimension as as an AL80) that the hook side of the velcro completely overshoots when the loop side of the velcro. I am using a couple of sections of mt bike inner-tube to manage the tail of the strap and so far it has not slipped. I may, in time, get a local shop to sew some more velcro in place for convenience though.

-Z

Thanks. Can you or anyone recommend a brand for the normal strap variety?

I have those Scubapro bands. You don’t have to un-thread the buckle side. The loop side has a cam that grips the band and a long Velcro tail to keep everything tight. You do have to pull the Velcro tail away from the band to adjust the size. It can get fiddly but the lockup is super strong.

If you want pics, I can take a couple.

I'm having trouble visualizing how the Scubapro bands work, so if your offer still stands, I'd appreciate a couple of pics. Thanks!
-Don

I'm having trouble visualizing how the Scubapro bands work, so if your offer still stands, I'd appreciate a couple of pics. Thanks!
-Don

This should help. Let me know if you have questions.

04C5468C-7EBE-4D6E-8167-62EA5FED190A.jpeg 96DBD76F-2C96-414B-9218-4F2649EACC66.jpeg BDD8EA70-21E4-4D7D-B0CA-F63717C08940.jpeg 9633B66B-E862-4931-8570-F7F48C853762.jpeg 6C5BC240-1F27-424F-92A6-3459A6C0CC22.jpeg

Apeks griplock :) I prefer these to the SB ones as they are super quick and easy to adjust for tank sizes, while also being "pinch-less" on the fingers. Checkout youtube for a product review on these.

Does the Apeks gridlock allow you to use cam-band trim pockets?

Although I'm not sure it's worth $90+ to buy a pair when my regular bands seem to do the job. The only PITA is when I switch between 7.25 and 8" cylinders, which isn't that often.

Does the Apeks gridlock allow you to use cam-band trim pockets?

Although I'm not sure it's worth $90+ to buy a pair when my regular bands seem to do the job. The only PITA is when I switch between 7.25 and 8" cylinders, which isn't that often.

Yes, quite easily actually. Simply slide the pocket over the strap and position. It locks in place when you cinch it down with tank attached or you can use some bungee to keep it in place.
IMG_20190106_122951.jpg
IMG_20190106_122937.jpg

I know they are pricey, but they have been amazing when swapping tanks on a boat. So easy to remove, position and cinch down. Gone are the days where I have to pull my bc up over the tank and slide back in. I now install my regs first, check the tank, then strap the bc on. I love them, and the safety feature is worth it to me over the SP ones.

These were transpac and ranger doubles mounting plates that I made

Then welded allthread where the holes were

No movement closest to the back no tank damage

full.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom