Mixed Gasses - Basic Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJetDriver69:
Although, heliox as a diluent on a CCR is really your friend when you are going deep! :wink:

Cheers!
I think the problem is that you see a blanket statement like "helium makes your deco longer" or any other convenient phrase (like the reverse "helium is your friend") that tries to group the whole convoluted mish-mash of decompression theory into a neat little package and it makes you jump up and post something. As we found out, it's a whole heck of a lot more complicated than just "helium can make your deco longer"!! :)

It's definitely more art than science and we just barely scratched the surface of all the underlying beliefs, theories, models, etc. etc. in our little banter..

O-ring:
OK, ok..we are on the same page then.....We all love helium for various reasons and even though you may be able to shave a couple minutes here or there by not using it you wouldn't dream of it, right? :)
We might be on the same deco theory page, but probably are on different pages as to typical dive profile.

Trimix with high FHe clearly is the winner when you have significant deco.

But for the NDL and mild deco diving I do in the 80'-120' range, in most cases it looks like EAN is the better gas.

Helium is not always the optimum gas in the "rec triox" range, particularly when you are on the no stop side of NDLs.

Charlie99:
We might be on the same deco theory page, but probably are on different pages as to typical dive profile.

Trimix with high FHe clearly is the winner when you have significant deco.

But for the NDL and mild deco diving I do in the 80'-120' range, in most cases it looks like EAN is the better gas.

Helium is not always the optimum gas in the "rec triox" range, particularly when you are on the no stop side of NDLs.
Prob more on the same page there too (at least in the shallow category).. I do a lot of short deco stuff in NC in the 120' range on EAN30..

O-ring:
It's definitely more art than science and we just barely scratched the surface of all the underlying beliefs, theories, models, etc. etc. in our little banter..

In thinking about your statement above, I think you are right. I believe I will alter one of mine.

Earlier I said it was 99% physics and 1% voodoo. Some times I begin to think it's exactly the opposite!!! :11:

O-ring:
Prob more on the same page there too (at least in the shallow category).. I do a lot of short deco stuff in NC in the 120' range on EAN30..

I, very much prefer, some he in my tanks even for a 120 ft dive. I've done plenty without it but I dive for fun and it's way more fun with helium.

MikeFerrara:
I, very much prefer, some he in my tanks even for a 120 ft dive. I've done plenty without it but I dive for fun and it's way more fun with helium.
Mike, I completely agree. Personally, I don't differentiate deco schedules for EAN30, EAN32, or 30/30 and I can't tell the difference other than I feel a bit better when there's He in the mix. You guys can run schedules on whatever software packages you like and BRW can crunch all the numbers he likes as well, but you aren't really convincing me that my body is lying to me or that you really understand the physiology behind mixed gas diving. The day I get bent doing the same dive on 30/30 that I have done 100 times with no problems on EAN30, then I will think you are on to something. I won't hold my breath.. :)

O-ring:
I feel a bit better when there's He in the mix.

agreed, A lot better. But mainly and definitely, on dives below 170'.

msandler:
agreed, A lot better. But mainly and definitely, on dives below 170'.
I don't go down that deep without helium, so I wouldn't know.. :)

O-ring:
I don't go down that deep without helium, so I wouldn't know.. :)

I won't even go into what I "have" done - for obvious reasons :) Suffice to say, you would be markedly more lethargic without He. I used to get home from doing deep air dives (deco on nitrox and 100% O2), plunk down on the couch and start bagging Z's in minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom