mittens for cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought a pair of 3-fingers gloves for really cold water (like diving next sunday in Ontario).
7mil glove CRUX by Waterproof. I think it is from Sweden. Anyone using these? It is a new product my LDS had.

Will I freeze my hands in 20 minuts or more?

My experience has been that the determining factor in cold endurance for gloves is water flow.

Snug, no water flow thin gloves are warmer than a thicker glove that allows water exchange. A nice thick glove (with a bad seal) can be miserable cold.

So it all boils down to how often water pumps in and out. You can slow this by placing the glove gauntlet under the cuffs of your wetsuit.

All the best, James

My experience has been that the determining factor in cold endurance for gloves is water flow.

Snug, no water flow thin gloves are warmer than a thicker glove that allows water exchange. A nice thick glove (with a bad seal) can be miserable cold.

So it all boils down to how often water pumps in and out. You can slow this by placing the glove gauntlet under the cuffs of your wetsuit.

All the best, James
If putting the gloves under the seal of a wetsuit, I wouldnt say its cold enough to freeze your hands off in 20 minutes...
If you can dive wet, the hands isnt much more of an issue than the rest in my experience..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom