Missing snorkeler - Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No flotation device, stayed in alone as the other snorkelers went back, boat captain threw her a line w / buoy to hold onto, she lost hold and was swept away....all lost sight of her.
So many errors.

sounds like just from that description on TA that they were dealing with returning divers and either through inattention or looking away for a moment the snorkeler came off the current line

years ago I was diving Molokini, we were on the boat off the back wall and the captain diverted towards Kahoolawe for some reason. He saw a lone diver floating. Had anchored in the crater but the current swept him out, and apparently whoever was left on the boat didn’t know how to operate it

what a tragic story

Tragically, no one on the boat seems to have had the responsibility of never taking their eyes off the drifting woman. Not watched, lost, not found.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-103017_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-103017_Chrome.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 165
I have been diving Molokini for years and I would never go as a snorkeler. I think it’s very high risk to snorkel so far from the main coast and off a pinnacle that is often surrounded by strong currents.

Thoughts and prayers to the family of the missing woman

I went there (the crater) as a snorkler many years ago before becoming a diver. Swells were pretty big so that I had to kick to keep on top of them. Then I put my mask on and saw this placid looking world underwater. But back on the surface had a lot of swell.

Always take the vest. You don’t have to inflate it but it makes you easier to spot.

It was probably a pretty typical day with 2-3' swells coming in across the bay just from light winds early morning. It was my first time snorkeling Molokini, but I had been watching the bay by Wailea for days. Early mornings are usually the calmest, but things typically get a lot rougher as the morning progresses.

It was much more calm closer to shore near Wailea (less wind) after 8am. I was snorkeling with another company earlier that morning in the 7am hour with my wife and young kids. It was a clear day with great above water and underwater visibility, but the deep water is blue enough that visibility drops off from the surface at around 30-50' depending on where you are and everything blends in. My guess is the wind picked up and those 2-3' swells may have gotten a little more intense.

Sad news.

Back
Top Bottom