Missing Divers In Welland River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fazekas

Registered
Reaction score
Two GTA divers who disappeared in the Welland River this morning are presumed dead after an exhaustive search has yet to find any signs of life.
The recreational diving group, all from Toronto, was swimming in the Kingsbridge Park area, near the intersection of the Niagara River and Welland River, around 9:30 a.m. when the group became separated as the divers struggled against the current, say Niagara Regional Police.

Fire crews rescued one diver where the river intersects the Welland River. He told his rescuers about the treacherous water conditions, prompting emergency crews to start a search for the four other divers. A man and woman were located and brought but two additional divers remain missing. Police divers were still on the scene late Sunday night.

A joint search operation is still continuing for the divers, both in their 30s. No names have been released.

“They are experienced divers and were well-equipped,” said Const. Neal Orlando with Niagara police. “One of the divers was getting his certification as a diver master. As far as diving in the river, I know they have been out here before but I don’t think too many times.”

A wife of one of the missing men was part of the five-person team and helped in the underwater search.

Although the water there is usually flowing west away from Niagara Falls, the Ontario Power Generation controls the flow of the water in that area and, “did have an operation going today,” where the direction of the water may have been changed.

With files from Canadian Press

I saw this on the news and although they were not calling it a fatality yet I can't imagine a good outcome.

One of the men missing is the next door neighbor of my parents. He has 2 young sons and was a high school teacher. Please pray for the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom